keyboard results wrong characters

Thread: keyboard results wrong characters

keyboard results wrong characters

hi,

i'm running vista ultimate 64bit. since this morning my keyboard is not displaying the correct keys when i type. for example, typing "z" or "b" results in "zb", typing "h" or "n" results in "hn", etc. the enter key results in a "6".

this happens in word, wordpad, a dos window, basically everywhere. when i hit the alt key with numlk (alt is the correct key to activate numlk), i can type a "z" which results in just a "b". this only works once. the laptop beeps at me and the old behavior returns. it seems like the alt+numlk changes the behavior but only for one key stroke. all other combinations of numlk such as ctrl, fn, shift result in no change in this behavior. i then uninstalled the keyboard in the device manager and restarted. it reinstalled the driver but the same issue persists.

it seems this is related to the old numlk problem on laptops but the behavior is not the same. also, there has never been an external usb keyboard attached to this laptop so that can be ruled out.

any ideas?

tia,
    dave

there has never been an external usb keyboard attached to this laptop so that can be ruled out.
    Then you should try an external keyboard to see if that works. If the external kb works, then you know it's something with the onboard keyboard.

You could also try reseating the keyboard cable.

hi,

an external usb keyboard fixes the problem! looks like i have my work around.

thanks for your reply,
    dave

I was gonna say this is the embedded numlock issue, but a new keyboard fix it so ... hmm.

Thread Information