Remembering Services console settings changes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remembering Services console settings changes

Remembering Services console settings changes

Before anyone even tries to answer, would someone pleas tell me the rational behind preventing one not to save changes on how a program looks??? It's only how the interface looks, not how the O/S works.

The Services console I use all the time. To go through and change everything every time is ridiculous including window size.
    I tried (using the hidden Admin account) choosing Author mode, un-checking the "do not save changes" check box, but the O/S won't allow change the services.msc file. I even tried to rename the file, which did save, but only limited changes were saved.

W/O using a 3rd party program (which seems to be the only way anything can get changed with Windows 7), how can something that was easy (by changing the attribute) be remembered??
    Copyright protection & Intellectual property my ass. All the studios want is more money & control.
    Enough is enough!

It might be possible to use a hex editor to permanently change the settings, if you can find where they are located. However, Windows might view this as an unauthorized change and replace the file. You might have to try renaming it to prevent that.

The reason for this behavior is the probably the same as in the other post, combined with the fact that it takes more programming effort to save the changes.

It wasn't a problem in XP. Take a look here, namely the 3rd 'answer';
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-999e7195653c

Libraries are the problem?
    Copyright protection & Intellectual property my ass. All the studios want is more money & control.
    Enough is enough!

Typical Microsoft misdirection. Libraries are a new "feature" that did not exist before, so they never had any previous features. Windows Explorer folder windows did exist before, and did have the "remember" feature. There is no relation between the two in this case, despite any Microsoft claims to the contrary.

This goes far past just remembering the window size.
    I guess no one here uses the Services console.
    Enough is enough!

We do use Services, but not often enough to make the annoyance a big issue. If there is something you need to do with Services on a daily basis, there may be a command line alternative that would be faster.

Services can also be found in the Task Manager>Services tab. And Task Manager does remember its window size.
    Nick.

But that only shows services running. I use TM all the time.
    Enough is enough!

In Start type in mmc
    In MMC click File > Add/Remove Snap-in
    Chose Services > Add > OK
    After you changed the view, go to File > Save as and save your msc to whatevername.msc
    Next time you can open this .msc with your prefered view including window size.

As DeP indicated, by design one doesn't change the released version of msc files. It is a trivial matter to make your own. I have a single msc that contains all of my frequently used tools. It is much easier to navigate than the "God Mode" tool from Microsoft.

DeP; I have tried that, but it still doesn't remember window size.
    I don't have any specific video drivers installed yet. Is that a issue?
    Enough is enough!

It has nothing to do with your video drivers.
    If I create a new services.msc file via mmc.exe, add snap-in, Windows remembers it's layout and size.
    (Windows Ultimate x64 Classic theme)

If you tried to author the original services.mmc file, check in services.mmc File > Options.
    Make sure that in the Console tab 'Do not save changes to this console' is unchecked and Console mode is set to Author mode.
    Next save the console to your desktop. (The original console cannot be overwritten unless you take ownership)
    If all is well you should have a new file 'services' in C:\Users\videobruce\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC. These are configuration settings for the newly created console, in there would be a line like:
    <Rectangle Name="NormalPosition" Top="60" Bottom="684" Left="80" Right="809"/>
    These are the window settings.

Just to make sure..
    If you created a new .msc, the services in Administrative tools will still be the same. You have to start the new .msc.

DeP; I'm running Pro 32, not Ultimate 64. That might make a difference. I also strip alot of blot from the install via RT Lite.

I saved the file in the same folder as the orginal; System32.
    in there would be a line like:
    <Rectangle Name="NormalPosition" Top="60" Bottom="684" Left="80" Right="809"/>
    Can that be edited?
    Enough is enough!

The file in C:\Users\videobruce\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC\services could be edited. It's just a .xml file.
    But it should be updated as soon as you alter the windows size if you start the correct services.msc.

To check this, make a change in services.msc and watch the timestamp from C:\Users\videobruce\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC\services

Thread Information