NetBIOS over TCPIP problem

Thread: NetBIOS over TCPIP problem

Threaded View

NetBIOS over TCPIP problem

Season's Greetings to all my fellow Drs. For the first time in 15 years one of the computers (HP-Compaq with Windows XP SP3 and all updates) in my house was infected with a couple of nasties: WIN32 FAKEAV-CRB and Win32-Karagany-DM according to Avast. One of these two lovelies that snuck by Avast removed all Internet connectivity and printers...
    Anyway after lots of work restoring afd.sys and netbt.sys and related missing registry entries I got this computer cleaned up and back online. However I have tried setting it up on my home network a number of times with no luck. I think I have located the problem but not the solution.
    Here's what I've got to go on:
    - IPconfig /all on the affected pc shows that "NetBIOS over Tcpip... Disabled"
    - Device Manager (View|Show hidden devices) | Non plug and play drivers | NetBIOS over TCPIP "General" tab shows that it is enabled and "Driver" tab shows it as System and Started.
    - I can see the computer IP when logging into my router, but the Device name doesn't show up (see attached screenshot)
    - I can ping the other computers on my network by name or by IP, the affected computer can only be pinged by IP (see attached screenshot)
    Note: 192.169.0.2 shows up as unknown is the affected computer highlighted in red.

Interestingly, my PC also was infected by a virus and both infections coincided with our migration from Eudora (that we've been using since 1995) to Thunderbird (which is also being a pain in the derriere).
    Last edited by Herring; December 27th, 2011 at 01:50 PM.
    Just trying to give others a friendly hand.

Thread Information