Inspiron dropped, screen is half there.

Thread: Inspiron dropped, screen is half there.

Inspiron dropped, screen is half there.

Has been dropped about three feet to the floor and now the screen is top half black and bottom half perfect and the computer runs. Do you think that this may only be the screen itself? It looks like these Inspiron 1545 screens has the inverter right on the back of the screen. Any ideas?
    Note: My questions may be to help others
    Thanks, JB

I doubt that it is the inverter, if that fails you generally get a completely black screen. Have a very careful look, and see if the image is actually showing very faintly in the top half of the screen.
    Nick.

Image is bright and normal but only fits on half the screen. The bottom half.
    Thanks, JB

It could just be something as simple as a bad connection from the motherboard to the monitor. Disassemble it and check the ribbon cable connections.

So are you saying that the entire image has been squashed down into the bottom half, or that it is the normal bottom half of the screen that has been chopped off half way?
    Nick.

Yes the screen looked good only 1/2 down. But now that I have removed the screen and checked the connections the screen is really dark now like the back light is out. So getting worse. I can still see a faint screen 1/2 way down.
    Thanks, JB

While you've got it apart, do the fluorescent tubes run vertically or horizontally?
    Nick.

A very tiny tube seems to run at the bottom of the screen. Very tiny though with the wires from the left side of the screen coming into the screen. Just taking out the screen with it's two screws at the bottom and unhooking the power cable to the screen seem to make the lights go out. Then when I plugged back in the power cable the lights stay out so now the screen is really dark. So maybe the bulb got tweaked and it is now gone. Seems easy just to buy another screen because it looks like the bulb, inverter and screen are as one.
    Thanks, JB

Thread Information