Close Maximize Minimize Buttons

Thread: Close Maximize Minimize Buttons

Close Maximize Minimize Buttons

Hi all, I just did some W7 updates and now my close, maximize, minimize buttons don't work.
    It looks like they're responding to my clicks but nothing happens.
    If I hit Alt-F4 then I can close the window.
    If I do system restore then it works.
    Any ideas whats going on??
    Thanks in advance.
    Dave

There's 37 updates and I would hate to have to go through each one separately to find out what one is doing this.
    "If your going to get mad at me everytime I do something stupid, then I guess I'll just have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer J. Simpson

I take it you've done the obvious and tried rebooting the PC?

I doubt very much that there is a problem with a particular update causing what you describe, we would have heard by now. It's much more likely that it was a one-off glitch that just happened to you, where something got corrupted. Pain though it is, using Sys Restore and then reinstalling all 37 updates is the way to go.
    Nick.

Or break the 37 into 3 or 4 groups .

Had to do that lately as a update need a reboot right now and jams up the works.

Yes It called for reboot after the updates and I reboted twice more to see if that would work.
    After sys restore I installed all 37 updates again and it happened again.
    I guess I'll try your suggestion and do a few at a time and see what happens.

Doing some google searches came up with the user32.dll.mui file may have been modified and caused the problem.
    There is a back up copy of the file on the hard drive. I wonder if I try and overwrite the one that is there now with the back up.
    Thanks
    Dave
    "If your going to get mad at me everytime I do something stupid, then I guess I'll just have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer J. Simpson

That .mui file may well be the cause. Before you replace it, save or rename the new (updated/modified) one just in case.

W7 won't let me overwrite the file it says access denied even though I'm the Admin.
    I tried to change the security on the folder but it also says access denied.
    Bummer
    Dave

If you remove the updates again, then install them one by one (time consuming, I know), and you discover it is a security update that is causing the issue, you should be able to get Microsoft to help you at no charge.

After chatting on another forum (sorry), it was brought up that maybe I have a bogus copy of W7 and to crack it they modified the .mui file and when W7 updates it fixes the file to what it should be therefore causing my problems.

Any thoughts on that, because I bought this at a local computer store and it was already installed. Also I was not given a copy of W7 when I bought it.

Dave

I would hit the store up for a copy of W7.

Might be right interesting as to what they say and do.

I think if it was a dodgy copy of Windows, you would be getting Activation messages, and "This is not a genuine copy" popups. Windows is pretty much in your face about it if it decides that it isn't legit. I've never known breaking some random component as an anti-piracy measure.

I think Train's suggestion of installing in small batches is a good one, I've had to do that myself in the past, and it often works OK where installing all updates in one go causes problems.
    Nick.

Solution from http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-70ac25ade867/

IF you are using nView, disable ALL features in the Desktop Mangager (right click, properties, disable all) and it will solve the issue.

Hope it helps..

Thread Information