[RESOLVED] The 746GB issue

Thread: [RESOLVED] The 746GB issue

Resolved [RESOLVED] The 746GB issue

Hello!
    I'm on an aging ASUS a8n-sli deluxe mobo with Vista 32 ultimate sp2 installed on one SSD.
    I have in the past run two 1tb drives on either RAID controller for 1.81tb. I found another drive (same exact model) and when I go for 3x1tb RAID 0 the controllers create the array at 746gb (yes, onboard nVidia raid and SiI raid too). I know the BIOS probably doesn't like passing 2tb but this is not a boot drive and shouldn't it give me at least 1.81tb? What's the fastest free option for my storage configuration? I am using this machine to process HD video.

I'm a cinematographer and director of photography in Milwaukee.
    I use Windows, OSX, and 40 TB of storage to tell stories with my
    Sony FS7 | Panasonic GH4 | 5D mark III
    Find me on Google + | Facebook | Twitter

Motherboard
    The first deciding factor on maximum hard drive size is the motherboard configuration. A motherboard has to be designed and equipped to detect larger sizes. The maximum size limit motherboards traditionally supported in the past was 2 terabytes. As of 2011, motherboards are able to surpass that limit. If a motherboard displays the full size of the hard drive in the BIOS screen, the motherboard is able to fully support the drive.

Windows Vista 64-bit
    The 64-bit version of Windows Vista is able to use a new partition table format called GPT. GPT has a maximum disc and raw partition size of 18 exabytes, or 1 quintillion bytes. Windows file structures, however, can only support partition sizes up to 256 terabytes, each with a maximum of 128 logical partitions.

Windows Vista 32-bit
    The 32-bit version of Windows Vista is limited to using the MBR, or master boot record, partition format. MBR has a maximum partition size of 2 terabyteshttp://www.ehow.com/facts_7795797_vi...mitations.html

It would be nice if it did register at least 1.81tb but then you'd still have a wasted drive collecting dust.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

A pair of SSD drives, one for C: and the other to write the output to would be bunched faster that what you are thinking about.Spendy I know, but maybe well worth the expense in the long run.
    Then cut/paste to your storage drive(s).

And a cpu upgrade may help also.

Resolved

I figured out how to work this for me. My version of Vista supports GPT but not as a boot drive. The 2tb limit is definitely in the BIOS. I found another 1tb drive and I am running two 1.81tb arrays in hardware and striping them in software, giving me a very fast 3725.8gb array. Probably not super reliable but since I'm just using this to render out projects already saved somewhere else, I'm not too concerned.
    I already did upgrade, but I want to spend my new computer's time editing and designing while my old computer can do the heavy lifting and 72-hour renders.
    Thanks!

Now that makes for reasonable what with the 2nd computer.

72 hour rendering time - Have not seen that since Moray and P100 cpu days.

Arrow

Rendering 6 hours of video onto a 25gb Blu-ray will do that!

Thanks for the warning order.

Thread Information