case fans
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: case fans

case fans

its been a long time sice i did a system build. I forgot if the case fans are supposed to blow out the hot air from inside the case or blow in cool air from outside the case.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Depends where the fans are located. High up in the back, should be your exhaust fan, pulling air out. Low in the front should be your intake pulling cooler air in.

cool, thanks, i'll set it up that way. I need all the cooling power i can get. I'm running dual xeon's and they can generate a lot of heat depending on what i'm doing.

And should you have a side panel fan, we have to experiment to find out in blowing in or out is cooler.
    No way to call it, just have to experiment.

i have a fan on the back of the case working as an exhaust fan, and a fan on the top of the case ar an intake. Right now its 84 degrees in the case according 2 the built in temprature probe. Everything is running ok, except it refuses to count the ram in banks 3 and 4. I tried some contact cleaner but it still won't work. Also the power button wont work either, so i have 2 start the pc with a screwdriver.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Would you post your computer specs please. We can help a lot easier if we know what we're working on.

We need Motherboard name and model number. As far as the power button not working, did you use the instructions from the manual for the f-panel. Could be you have two wires on the wrong pins.

its an intel server board se7320sp2, 2 dual core xeon cpu's at 3.2ghz, 2gb ddr ram, a 80gb and an 160gb hdd (ata 100), sound blaster xfi, integrated graphics, a asus dvd burner, an emprex dvd rom/cd-rw drive. 600 watt power supply. I think that's about it. Its in a case not designed 4 a server board. I had 2 drill holes in the case and bolt the power supply in place, and the motherboard mounting plate is jury rigged 2 fit in place cause there was no way 2 properly fit it in.

i have a fan on the back of the case working as an exhaust fan, and a fan on the top of the case ar an intake.
    Heat rises, so i would make the top fan an exhaust. It's better to have negative pressure inside the case. Air will find its way in, so you don't need to have an intake for every exhaust.

i guess the fans are ok for now, the case temprature is still around 85 degrees and i've been running it for several hours. I'm not doing anything cpu intensive tho.

i forgot to mention that i'm running windows xp pro

Please use the C and not the F scale because that C is recognized and understood on the internet.

29 C = 85 F is acceptable
    85C = 185 F is not

To move more air the fan grill can be removed.

If there is a chance for fingers to get hit, be sure to use a fan grill Guard
    Lots of Example:
    http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl...&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Yes, and get a nice airflow increase and keep the fingers protected.
    Shall we say "Learned the hard way"!

i have fan guards built into the case. The built in temprature probe does have a celceus (sp?) readout so i'll use that from now on. It seems to stick around 30 degrees c. Still no luck with the ram and power switch tho.

Try monitoring the CPU, GPU and drive temps for a bit - the air temperature in the case is a bit meaningless by itself. These are all excellent freeware utilities. I particularly like Real Temp and HWMonitor. OCCT is superb for stress testing - if the PC can handle that, it can handle anything

Real Temp

HWMonitor

OCCT

PC Wizard

Speedfan
    Nick.

Thread Information