[RESOLVED] HP Pavilion a710n Desktop PC motherboard removal and cpu cleaning questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] HP Pavilion a710n Desktop PC motherboard removal and cpu cleaning questions

Resolved [RESOLVED] HP Pavilion a710n Desktop PC motherboard removal and cpu cleaning questions

I am in the process of redoing the thermal paste on the cpu connectors for this pc:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...31076&sw_lang=

I wanted to take the entire motherboard out but in the upper right corner of the motherboard is a style of connector I have never run into before. I am attaching a picture of it I hope you guys can see it well. It almost appears to be something that needs to be squeezed with needle nose pliers to be released as it does not appear to unscrew. So am going to hold off on removing the motherboard at least until I can find out if my hunch is right as I dont want to damage anything.

CPU cleaning question. I have removed the heatsink and CPU and have begun cleaning them. The CPU cap has a pink coloring to it. The pictures I see of this style of CPU do not show a pink coloring. I want to make sure this is normal and not thermal pad residue as that is what appears to have been used for thermal conduction on this setup. Attaching a picture of CPU as well.

Thanks again guys for your help and advice so far. You guys are great.
    Last edited by A31Chris; July 29th, 2011 at 10:57 PM.
    Something to do while waiting for long downloads. Atari Adventure

Disregard the CPU question. Found a specific picture of the cpu in question. It is a pink metal cap.

A31Chris - Please click on the THREAD TOOLS link above and then click the "Mark Thread Resolved" button. Thanks.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

I could not tell from the photo what type of connector you have, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    I could not tell from the photo what type of connector you have, sorry.

No problem. I'm going to leave it be for now.

Man it is so tricky to get what seems to be the right little drop of thermal compound to come out. Well here goes nothing.

I redid the thermal pasting and reassembled. The system runs cooler now but is still crusing up and stabilizing at 56 degrees celsius. I dont know if this is because I may have got too much thermal paste on the amd 3100+ that is in here or if it is because the top metal dye is smaller and doesn't dissapate heat as well as some of the newer cpu's. I'll check the cpu guide.

CPU guide says this CPU operating temp is around 0-85 degrees celsius so I guess its within tolerances.

Run this one and see what the CPU temp goes up to when it is stressed, that is the important test:

OCCT
    Nick.

I would say it is to thick and jacked the temp up 10 C from my experience with that cpu.

Paper thin means about 3 thousands of a inch thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    I would say it is to thick and jacked the temp up 10 C from my experience with that cpu.

Paper thin means about 3 thousands of a inch thick.
    Understood. Will redo the thermal pasting. I thought it might of been too thick. Its tricky :P

I'm getting conflicting reports between BIOS temp reading and HW Monitor readings. BIOS says the cpu is running at mid 50's . HW monitor says it mostly stays in the 40s with brief moments of being in the 50's. We are going to run OCCT and see what she does but will redo the thermal pasting again in a couple days. Just want to see what she does like this for a bit.

I ran a memory test on it today while I was at work and it passed after 7 hours of testing so that area appears to be fine.

The PC sounds a lot quieter now. It doesn't sound like a Huey Chopper about to take off. Even the other temp that was way high initially has come down quite a bit.

My roommate is quite pleased so far with these initial results.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSparks View Post
    Run this one and see what the CPU temp goes up to when it is stressed, that is the important test:

OCCT

I couldnt use OCCT in conjunction with HW monitor as OCCT said it would give odd results but here are the results of the OCCT standard test. No errors. All through this it has ran for the first time since my roommate has had it without the fan freaking out to cool the system off. Once again my roommate was very pleased.

46 C is fine for that cpu. My 3000 runs at 48 C.

That is the wrong graph that you've posted there, it is showing Vcore (or CPU voltage in other words). But the main thing is that it passed the stress test without errors, or early termination, which is what happens if the temp climbs too high.
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    46 C is fine for that cpu. My 3000 runs at 48 C.

Thats good. I was just curious about the different reading between BIOS and HWMonitor but it seems to be running great. I'll leave it be then.

Thread Information