[RESOLVED] is my system obsolete already?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] is my system obsolete already?

Resolved [RESOLVED] is my system obsolete already?

hi, i'm finally getting back into pc hardware after a 4 year hiatus. I haven't kept up with the new standards since 2007. I recently built a new pc with all of my best hardware and i'm just wondering how it rates compared to newer hardware. My specs are: intel se7320sp2 server board; 2 dual core 3.2ghz intel xeon cpu's; 2gb of ddr 333 ram; an 80gb and 160gb ata100 hdd's; a asus dvd-ram drive; an emprex cd rw/dvd rom combo drive; nvidia quadro fx540 pci x16 graphics; and sound blaster xfi sound card. Currently using win xp pro sp2.

Quote Originally Posted by dbz_fan1983
    ... intel se7320sp2 server board; 2 dual core 3.2ghz intel xeon cpu's; ...
    Listed processor release date of August 2006.
    Cheers.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    And we're now up to DDR3 in RAM types, and harddrives are either SATA or SSD, the latter being newest and faster. Drives capacity is over 2TBs too. Might be even 3TBs by today.

And Video cards have at least 1gb memory and GDDR5. So, yes, you're system is a bit outdated now.

are there any redeeming qualities with the 2 dual core xeons? They're the fastest cpu's i've ever run across so far. I wish i could afford some new technology, its impressive how advanced pc hardware has come since i fell out of the loop 4 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by dbz_fan1983 View Post

Currently using win xp pro sp2.
    If you surf the 'net with this box, you are risking some serious infection, big-time. Recommend installing at least ALL Windows updates marked 'Critical' . . . ASAP.

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/

no, this pc is a stand alone. I use it mainly for imaging, data storage, and eventually play some older games. I'll be building a seperate pc for net surfing in a few weeks with another dual xeon setup, provided that my 2 spare motherboards work. And i'll also be trying out some scsi drives as well, cause all my ide drives are in use.

Personally, I'd install Windows 7 instead of XP. It's more secure.

(Windows 7 Pro or higher will allow you to use XP Mode).

i'd love 2 try windows 7, but i have cash flow issues lately and xp is the best operating system that i own. It seems to do well with my older hardware.

For a Workstation type PC, your specs are reasonably decent still. Even now, Server/Workstation boards are still only up to DDR2 memory. Though your drives are of limited capacity compared to the latest, there isn't much real-world performance difference between PATA and SATA drives. For the kind of use that you describe, that hardware should be fine for a while longer yet.
    Nick.

its still the fastest pc that i ever owned, but i cant really play games until i repair a few things.

I fear it may never be a great gaming machine, workstations and gaming PCs have different requirements and different optimisations.
    Nick.

the most advanced game i have installed is gta3, and it ran very smooth until that cpu fan started acting up again. I dont really play newer games because they cost too much, but i agree that it will never be a great gaming machine.

well, as an insult to injury, i found out earlier by digging in the bios and doing some research that my xeon's aren't dual core at all. They're only hyperthreading technology.
    PC#1- Abit IP-95 board, Pentium 4 HT-3.2ghz, 2gb DDR2 533mhz RAM, 600w PSU, 80 & 160gb ATA-100 hdd's, DVD ram & DVD/cd-rw combo optical drives, GeForce n210 (512mb DDR2) graphics, Sound Blaster X-FI audio, Aspire X-Cruiser case with 4 cooling fans installed, Windows XP SP3

PC#2- HP Pavilion dv7-6b78us Laptop, Core i7 2.0ghz, 6gb ddr3 RAM, 750gb hdd, DVD/RW optical drive, Radeon graphics (1gb), Beats Audio, Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

Do you know the exact model number of Xeon? I didn't think the old single core Xeons went up to 3.2GHz, but I may be wrong.
    Nick.

Thread Information