Anti Virus for Lubuntu

Thread: Anti Virus for Lubuntu

Hybrid View

Anti Virus for Lubuntu

Have installed Lubuntu on an old Dell laptop from the cover disk from Linux Format mag (UK). I'm a basic Windows user but want to use this old laptop for web use.......

Do I need anti virus? I've read a lot of comments about it not being necessary for PCs running Linux, but is it safe to shop & bank online without AV..

If so, then can someone recommend one that is easy to instal.

Many thanks

Wilf

Well known brand,

Free for home use only versions,
    Cheers.

I don't use any for linux, but it depends on the user. It is probably a good idea for some users to help prevent spreading nasties via email, file sharing etc. )

Thank you both for your prompt replies.

Shimna, I'll try Avast (as it's free!), am I correct in thinking I should go for the DEB package? (I'm using Lubuntu).

cdroman, I can see your view is shared by many on the web but having been a Windows user for many years I'm very apprehensive about online banking & purchases without anti virus.

Thanks

Wilf

It is probably a good idea for you to use an AV program to prevent you possibly sending someone with a windows machine an infected email/file. Most nasties are directed towards win machines, so you will not need to worry about linux; even if you receive an email/file with a payload with your distro's packages, you will be asked to submit your root psw to install the payload. You simply don't do it. This is quite safe. Just keep linux updated, and it should be fairly safe. Run the AV for peace of mind. Have fun.

Thread Information