New Larger External Hard Drive Suggestions

Thread: New Larger External Hard Drive Suggestions

New Larger External Hard Drive Suggestions

I’m running Windows 7 64-bit with 8GB RAM and an Intel Core i7 CPU 870 @ 293GHz. My WD Caviar WD2500JS-60NCB1-250GB HDD SATA 3.5" 250GB 7200rpm that’s virtually full. It looks like Windows 84-bit took up a lot of space on my drive.
    I’m looking at the Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive @ $70.00 on Newegg.com.

I was curious if there is a better drive for the money…maybe even a larger drive. I don’t store videos on the drive…only a few program and many high mega pixel photos. Currently, I also have all my photos and My Doc’s on a Seagate 1 terabyte external drive for back up and that that’s has a lot of empty space to use.
    A few times I found My Doc’s filed within the original My Doc’s. I don’t know how that happens but just delete it again.

Any suggestions on quality hard drives would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Samsungspin point, Hitachi, Seagate, WD are all about the same.

And 1 TB hdds are cheaper than that one.
    Example
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185
    Newegg 1 TB or better.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20and%20higher

Thanks for info on the brand names that are on par with each other. Usually, my local PC store will match Newegg's prices.

I'll let them install it as I've never installed a drive yet.

Thanks agian,
    Mike

Fair enough, but I build my rigs. Actually easier than changing a tire to me.

If it's basically attaching it to the PC and plug in, I might try it myself. Do you have to phone MS when you reinstall Window 7 on the same PC again?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike2rc View Post
    Do you have to phone MS when you reinstall Window 7 on the same PC again?
    Do you particularly want to install Windows again? Why not transfer the existing installation to the new drive? The free Acronis TrueImage software from Western Digital's website would do that for you, regardless of what brand of larger drive you get.
    Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

Usually you don't have to phone MS if installing on the same PC. I haven't had to yet, anyway
    Nick.

Thread Information