[RESOLVED] Root Directory

Thread: [RESOLVED] Root Directory

Resolved [RESOLVED] Root Directory

Should I be able to map a drive letter to the root directory on my server drive from a given workstation?

Sorry... this is Server 2000...I think SVC PK 4
    Last edited by shiva_42; February 28th, 2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: left off the OS version
    Various Windows and Linux platforms...

I haven't tried it, but the answer is probably no, at least not without some significant alterations to permissions. You would normally not want to map a drive letter to the root directory on any PC due to security concerns.

Assuming you have administrative access to the server, Windows has a hidden share to any drive letter. Hidden drives end with a $.

\\servername\c$

Again, you need admin rights to access it.

--TB
    The only barrier to knowledge is the perception that you already have it.

Allowing ordinary users to view or change into the root directory is generally not a wise policy for multiuser systems. The reason is that it makes it easier to damage the system or obtain confidential information. This danger exists to some extent even if the permissions for the key directories and subdirectories within the root directory retain their default settings that make them inaccessible to ordinary users, because access to the root directory can provide a skilled intruder with another entry point to obtain useful clues about the structure of the particular system and to probe for weaknesses.

Thanks for the feedback...

I'm cognizant of the dangers involved by this configuration. We have a stupidly ignorant piece of obsolete software I'm trying to work a setup with...

The C$ "share" doesn't work either in this case... but I'm looking at a different work-around anyway, as I'm also uncomfortable with mapping the root as a share, as this IS the main HD on the server in question.

Think I'll go a different route, thanks for the input!
    Various Windows and Linux platforms...

Thread Information