True Windows XP Administrator logon

Thread: True Windows XP Administrator logon

True Windows XP Administrator logon

Hey guys and gals,
    I'm sure this has been asked a billion times but I am in a hurry and need to know the way to do this.
    How is it that I log in as the "True System Administrator" in Windows XP.
    I need to make some changes and even though I am listed as the admin on my system the computer is not letting me make em!
    Thanks for any help!
    I once made a hat out of a Lobster and a stick!

?
    Boot into safe mode.
    Cheers.

Once you boot into safe mode and log in to the Administrator account - in theory, you should then start seeing the Admin account on all regular boot ups.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

To enter the normally hidden default Administrator account, at the Login Screen hit Ctrl>Alt>Del twice and you'll get a Windows 2000-style login box. Type "Administrator" for the username and whatever password was entered when Windows was first installed (if any). To get to the account in Home Edition you need to boot into Safe Mode first.
    Nick.

Uh oh

I logged into administrator in safe mode. Went to make changes as to what programs run at start up but when I Apply the changes I am getting an error message saying " An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes.

What gives here?

Is it Msconfig that is giving you this error? If so, does it do it on all services or just one particular one?
    Nick.

Re uo oh

Well it lets me into MSCONFIG then I see the menu and choose the startup tab and I click on the programing I wish not to start up upon boot, but I get that error message as soon as I apply the change.
    It seems to think that I am not the "True Admin". Seems to do it on all services.

Anybody???

Anybody???

Try using the 'Runas' command:

runas /user:administrator msconfig

--TB
    The only barrier to knowledge is the perception that you already have it.

Try it from the default Admin account. To enter the normally hidden default Administrator account, at the Login Screen hit Ctrl>Alt>Del twice and you'll get a Windows 2000-style login box. Type "Administrator" for the username and whatever password was entered when Windows was first installed (if any). To get to the account in Home Edition you need to boot into Safe Mode first. Once in there you can reset the password for any other account.
    Nick.

Same problem

At the login screen I pressed CTRL ALT DEL twice and up came the box. I typed in Administrator and the password I went to MSCONFIG and made the changes to system startup but keep getting that error message.

What program or programs are you trying to use MSCONFIG to disable startup for?

Just junk

Oh I am just trying to disable some stuff like all the extra programs that came with my printer and Windows Messenger. Just junk I really dont need to start up when I boot.
    I have done some reading online about this problem and it appears to be a glitch within Windows XP. I make the changes to start up and get that error message saying I am not the administrator but yet it looks like the changes I made are being accepted.
    Weird
    Thanks for all the help though. I dont think there is a fix to this one!

Thread Information