Updates of Acronis/Partition magic from XP to Win7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updates of Acronis/Partition magic from XP to Win7

Updates of Acronis/Partition magic from XP to Win7

I think I am coming to terms with the 'throw away' hard- and software when moving from xp to win7. I am a bit upset because I paid money for software, especially Acronis that should help me migrate to new computers. Now I want to migrate but actually it does not work. Basically I wasted the money.

Unless one of you can suggest something? The Acronis website does not seem to have info.

Plus: can I make partitions with Win7 itself? Have heard something like that.

In case I have to buy new softwares to do what both did - which do you recommend. Both softwares were FAB!

Noid
    Motherboard gigabyte GA-MA77OT-UD3
    CPU AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640
    Memory 4093
    GeForce GTS 450
    SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (931 GB, IDE)
    Microsoft windows7

It might help if you posted the current versions of Acronis and Partition Magic that you have.

Also, a more detailed description of what you want help with in your change from XP to WIndows 7 would also be useful. You cannot upgrade XP to Windows 7 - a clean install is required. Windows 7 should be able to partition your hard drive(s) however you want them set up. Check the Acronis upgrade policy - you may be elegible for a discount on True Image Home 2011. It can also be found on sale sometimes for about $30.

Have bought new computer and have installed win7. Now I want to transfer the tons of acronis saved files of four drives! The current computer, see below, needs to go away after I have managed transferring all doc's etc to the new computer.

Acronis True Image 6.0 (on xp) and partition magic 8.0 - to use under win7. Checking update policy straight away,

Noid
    Memory 4093
    GeForce GTS 450
    Microsoft windows7

True Image 6 is old - an upgrade would be advisable, since it knows nothing about Microsoft's changes with Windows 7.

If you still have some of the files on the old computer, there are faster and easier methods of transferring the files. You could network the two computers easily and transfer the files that way, or you could temporarily install any internal hard drives from the old computer in the new one and copy the files.

Software is old, computer is old; wasted money for Acronis.

Yes I do have the tons of files on my external disk - outcome: will take lots of time to transfer into computer.

Is this the same story for the partition software - i.e. to partition with data already on the HD,

Noid
    Memory 4093
    GeForce GTS 450
    Microsoft windows7

Quote Originally Posted by noid
    ...Is this the same story for the partition software ...
    Yes. PartitionMagic (PowerQuest) was acquired by Symantec in 2003.
    Cheers.

Acronis 2010 or 11

I am overcoming my depression and will not demonstrate against the way MS dictates wasting money.

Now wanting to choose new Acronis: there seem to be many negative feedbacks on 2011 and it appears 2010 was better? Any suggestions?

EASEUS Partition Master: this is free - can anybody comment on it?

thanks, Noid
    Memory 4093
    GeForce GTS 450
    Microsoft windows7

Do you have files inside of Acronis archives that are not still on the hard drive outside of an Acronis acrhive that you need to transfer? If so, then you will either need to access them from the archives on the old computer and transfer them. If not, then Acronis (new or old) will be slower to transfer them than just transferring them. If you were backing up your old computer with Acronis in case of a hard drive failure, then your money for Acronis wasn't wasted, even though you didn't need to recover from a failed drive. Like any software that works with an operating system, eventually an upgrade will be needed when moving to a new operating system.

I have used Acronis 2010 and 2011 and have not had issues with either. I always test out Acronis on any new system to make sure that there are no issues when I set it up. I have not encountered any with either version on the computers where I have used Acronis. However, Acronis does come out with updates periodically. If you are installing Acronis instead os just running it from the bootable CD, you may want to download and install the latest update after the initial installation.

You can use Windows Easy Transfer, which is built into Win7 - it works very well

Explore the Features - Windows Easy Transfer

Easy Transfer Files, Users and Settings

Most basic partitioning chores can be accomplished in Disk Management, without any need for 3rd party software. What is it you want to do exactly?
    Nick.

... to choose new Acronis: there seem to be many negative feedbacks on 2011 and it appears 2010 was better? ...
    Did not notice much of a difference.
    With that said,
    I usually used the boot disk to make complete backups and rarely used them via desktop.
    Interface could use improvements when dealing with multiple HDDs in a system.
    Especially if one has more than one HDD with same size.

... EASEUS Partition Master: this is free - can anybody comment on it? ...
    Asides from slow performance when dealing with partitions with data in them,
    Have not encountered any real issues with it
    Last edited by Shinma; January 20th, 2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Additional comments on Acronis
    Cheers.

I've used EASEUS Partition Master free on my win 7 PC with no problems.

Trueimage versions 2010 and newer will work with Win7 earlier versions will probably hose your install. I tried TI11 when I first got my Win 7 PC and it completely ruined my MBR.. had to reinstall from scratch. Fortunately TI11 was the first program I tried to install so I only lost an hour or so. I'm currently using 2010 and have used other PC's with 2011 with no problems at all.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Do you have files inside of Acronis archives that are not still on the hard drive outside of an Acronis acrhive that you need to transfer?
    All I need is both stored in the Acronis files, as well as on external HD in normal format (and its Microsoft office 2002 which looks strange format on the win 7)

And thanks for bringing in reality helping me out with feeling more positive - its true if I had had a crash I would have needed Acronis. Will maybe get another one. I think I am insecure about the win7 machine cause ...Need to get used.

So will basically transfer files from external disk to internal one, just in case. then think about - perhaps I should buy MS office.

thanks, Noid
    Memory 4093
    GeForce GTS 450
    Microsoft windows7

Quote Originally Posted by fink View Post

..... MBR...'
    What is MBR?

It is interesting that it seems to depend on what version/updates are in the OS and the same of TI, if it works or not. Will try EASEUS as a first step.

Noid
    Memory 4093
    GeForce GTS 450
    Microsoft windows7

MBR = Master Boot record

If you install Acronis on the hard drive and run it from there, the MBR may be modified. That could cause trouble if your specific hardware is not handled properly by Acronis software. I almost never install Acronis - I just run it from the bootable media. The only time I do install it and run it from the hard drive is when running it from the bootable CD causes the backup to take a lot longer than it would if run from Windows. When I do install Acronis, I make sure to get the latest updates and test it out to insure that there are no issues. I also make an Acronis image BEFORE installing it, even if it takes a long time, and test the restore to make sure that works as well.

Thread Information