laptop connects,desktop doesn't

Thread: laptop connects,desktop doesn't

laptop connects,desktop doesn't

I live in an RV in a campground whose only internet comes via wifi (Tengo ISP).

My desktop does not have a wifi adapter (yet). It’s Win7 Home Premium 64 bit. I'm going through a router via lan cable. Although the internet toolbar icon indicates I have a connection, the green light on the router is intermittent. I can't bring up a browser page. I get 404 Page Not Found.

So I go to my laptop. Try the router, again, no go. So I disconnect from the router and go to G1 Tengo, our wifi provider. I do get a connection. .

The router is called a WiFiRanger, developed for the RV community, runs on 12V when necessary, though I am currently on standard AC. When I go to my desktop’s network control center and direct it to sign on to the broad band connection, I get a little signup dialogue box, so i put in my Tengo signon stuff and i see first a box saying "connecting via WAN miniport PPPOE". After a minute or so it comes up with "error 651" and tries to start over again. On the desktop Win 7 machine, when I show network map I see a second device, which is marked as default via a checkmark. My connects should be going through my Realtek Family Controller. I don’t know where this second device came from, although I installed a new graphics card yesterday.
    So I right clicked and took WAN miniport PPOE off as the default network access.
    My Realtek controller’s properties show that it’s connected via Ipv4 and is receiving data.

I am one confused networker!

Thanks
    Art
    www.artsdigitalphoto.com

Can we assume the router you are using is the one at the link below?

http://www.wifiranger.com/

Connect the desktop computer to the router via cable, reboot, and then open a Command Prompt window and enter the followinf command:

Code:
    ipconfig /all > ipconfig.txt
    Open the ipconfig.txt file (should be on the location shown by the prompts in the Command Prompt window, or you can search for it) and post the contents here.

laptop connects

I didn't go anywhere with that prompt. I cut and pasted, tried it all kinds of ways. it just
    repeats the c:/users/computer_. When searching, the only ipconfig.txt file is in the image backup I made and sent to my external hard drive. I used Copernic to do the search. Where did Search go in Win7? BTW, I have finally gotten online with both computers. Yes, I'm using the WiFi Ranger you linked to. It has worked well most of the time. We're having a big electrical storm, if that makes any difference.

Thanks
    Art
    www.artsdigitalphoto.com

How to open a Command Prompt window in Windows 7:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...nd-prompt.html

How to search for files in WIndows 7:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...file-or-folder

Copernic will search for the file also. However, it likely wasn't created.

Yes, an electrical storm can play havoc with radio signals.

Between a lunar eclipse and a big storm, it's a wonder anything works. Where did the Search box at the bottom of my Start button go? I never noticed it wasn't there.
    Art
    www.artsdigitalphoto.com

Aha, I hadn't installed the search box, is where it went
    Art
    www.artsdigitalphoto.com

Thread Information