[RESOLVED] Win Serv 2008 Installation - driver issue

Thread: [RESOLVED] Win Serv 2008 Installation - driver issue

Resolved [RESOLVED] Win Serv 2008 Installation - driver issue

Hello,

I've been trying to install windows server 2008 on an older machine but keep running into driver/missing or corrupt files after loading the OS. The MB is a Gigabyte board - GA-965P-DS3. I have 2 drives that I was going to raid to get a 3 tb partition, but after reading I think only 2 are possible in a raid 0 config. (idk, but that's not my question).

When I get to installation screens the wizard does not find my HD's. I have loaded drivers from the gigabyte website and find ones that seem to be compatible. A screen tells me that these drivers are unregistered and may cause problems later. At this point it lets me load the OS.

Once it finishes and tries rebooting, the startup fails. I get errors that say the installation is corrupted. And another that says ....\system32\jraid.sys is missing or corrupted and should either be repaired or reinstalled.

I have tried repairing, but everytime, it reboots I get this error.

I have loaded windows 7 on it before and used the same drivers as I am now, but it seems to not be working for Win Serv 2008. Any ideas?

Thank you,
    Freezer

I have loaded drivers from the gigabyte website and find ones that seem to be compatible. A screen tells me that these drivers are unregistered and may cause problems later.
    Sounds like you still have the wrong drivers. Did you try getting the drivers from the Intel?

I did download a zip file from Intel's site that had a bunch of drivers for win serv 2008. When I browsed for them, the Hide Incompatible drivers was still checked and nothing showed up in that directory (on my flash drive).

Freezer,

Did Gigabyte's web site specifically list RAID drivers for Server 2008? If not, then you may be out of luck using the on-board RAID. You may need a dedicated RAID card that has Server 2008 drivers.

A $150 Raid card will save you all kinds of grief compared to what is native to the motherboard.

Hello,

Sorry I was away for the holidays and am again trying to resume this project.

I cannot seem to find any drivers from intel or gigabyte that will run allow the raid array to show up as a volume upon installation.

I decided to try and just load it on one of the 2 WD Caviar Black 1500 Gb drives. I disconnected the other (with the idea of adding it in later after the OS is installed). Once I go through the initial setup and get to the spot where you can tell it which drive to install on, nothing is listed. So the OS is not providing appropriate drivers for the Hard Drive. This happens too no matter what version of windows I am trying to install (tried with windows XP, Windows 7 ultimate, and now with Windows Server 2008).

The driver package that I got for from Gigabytes website have a ton of drivers on it. I manage to get one driver that makes the drive visible to format. (under Floppy32, but it says its a 64X driver, kinda strange but w/e).

So i format it and press next continue. Windows Server 2008 says it doesn't recognize the volume and restarts. When i have installed Windows 7... it works.

I just checked Western Digital's site for drivers as well... nothing.

I find it strange that this board does not recognize this drive and that there don't seem to be drivers readily available. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for the advice.
    Freezer

btw... i have already flashed the bios with the most current version from Gigabyte. Thx
    Last edited by Freezer; January 5th, 2011 at 12:30 AM.

Post the exact model number for the Caviar Black drives. You may have one of the newer drives that uses different block sizes. Win 7 will install OK on them, other Windows versions may have trouble. Try a different (older) drive as a test. Also, some of the Caviar Black drives do not like RAID setup either.

Its the Western Digital Caviar Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s.

Reviews of the drive here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136592

It should work with RAID, but I'd still try a different drive model as a test. One reviewer says TLER can be turned off, one says it can't.
    Last edited by jdc2000; January 5th, 2011 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks for all the advice. I managed to find a driver from the Gigabyte Website that did work and allowed me to really add any OS. It was just a lot of trial and error, running back and forth with my flash driver trying a bunch of different downloads. Anyway, I have one that works and I'm up and running.

Thanks for the help as always.

Freezer

Thread Information