Looking for image/file renaming and log viewing software

Thread: Looking for image/file renaming and log viewing software

Looking for image/file renaming and log viewing software

There are two types of software I am looking for, I am wondering if anybody has heard of anything like this. I don't need anything fancy or professional, just a tiny utility to get the job done.

1:

I have a lot of image files that are out of order. The problem is my cellphone and some of my cameras store an image, then ask if I want to delete it when I am reviewing it. If I say yes to delete it, it still skips to the next number. Some of them start over when a new memorycard is inserted too, and I normally organize my pictures by device used to take them.

This means that at first I had many gaps (E.G. The first six files might be: IMG_001, IMG_003 IMG_006 IMG007 IMG_008 IMG_015). And as the counter was reset for various reasons (such as a firmware update for my phone) it started only recording in these gaps. So now I could have IMG_001 which was taken in 2007 and an IMG_002 that was taken in 2010. This makes them horribly scrambled and out of order, never mind when there are duplicate filenames due to it resetting the counter on a different memorycard.

So I was wondering if there is any software out there that can take all the images, even from separate folders (As they would have to be since some have similar filenames) and rename them properly going by the date taken info in the embedded EXIF info (And fall back on the filedate if this info isn't there, but I don't trust the filedates as some programs "update" them and would really prefer if it went by the EXIF data) renaming them all in order again so there are no gaps and image 002 which should be near the end isn't at the beginning, etc.

I know there are some general renaming apps, I have used some, but are there any designed for mass-renaming photos like this? Preferably ones with a preview mode so I can see that I set it up right before I mass-rename. The ones I tried don't handle multiple directories or EXIF data.

2:

I have a lot of log files from IRC, many of them contain info I want to be able to check back on, but the information is separated by control codes for color, bold, etc. These just appear as ASCII characters in notepad, is there an app that will load IRC log files, especially large ones, and display the control codes as they would appear on MIRC?
    "A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation..." - William Faulkner

This is not exactly what you want, but what I do. We have taken over 10,000 pics so far this year, so hope it helps.
    I use faststone image viewer http://www.faststone.org/

I make a folder with todays date.
    2010-12-03
    Then I transfer the photos from my camera to it.
    Use the image viewer to rename all of them.
    Now I can transfer all the photos from my wife's camera and have no danger of deleting photos I want to keep.

Hope this example helps out.

Last edited by General Winters; December 4th, 2010 at 03:00 AM.
    Current PC

Zoostorm
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, (XP Mode virtual pc enabled)
    WEI 7.4, 7.6, 7.9, 7.9, 5.9
    Intel Core i5-2310, 8GB Ram
    Geforce GTX 660 OC
    Samsung Syncmaster SA300 23.6" monitor

Folding@home
    User Name Sintares
    Team guru3d

There is no such thing as overkill. 'Open fire' and 'is it dead?' are the only sane options when threatened.

Note, Irfanview can also batch rename using exif data (assuming exif plugin is installed of course)
    Current PC

Zoostorm
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, (XP Mode virtual pc enabled)
    WEI 7.4, 7.6, 7.9, 7.9, 5.9
    Intel Core i5-2310, 8GB Ram
    Geforce GTX 660 OC
    Samsung Syncmaster SA300 23.6" monitor

Folding@home
    User Name Sintares
    Team guru3d

There is no such thing as overkill. 'Open fire' and 'is it dead?' are the only sane options when threatened.

Thread Information