Defender Service not active

Thread: Defender Service not active

Defender Service not active

Hi: Just dis some work on neighbor's noteboo, with Win XP pro. All went well, except, now when the system boots, get message on screen: Win Defender application failed to initialize :0X800106ba A problem cause this program's service to stop. To start the service restart.....The program does not appear in the msconfig (under Defender) in startup tab. Does appear in Programs and a run search for Defender. Does not appear in ADD/Remove. In Programs when right clicked, offers to Delete, but does not say anything aboult uninstall. When clicked on at Desktop, the message disappears, and all is well. Just annoying. Microsoft no longer supports Defender, as I thought a reinstall might work. Can't download. Just want to be careful in eliminating the message on the desktop as everything else seems to be working ok. Help, as always, much appreciated. Jim S
    Jim S.

Click on Start->Run and type: MSCONFIG

Look in the startup tab and uncheck Defender if found.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Here are the most common places to look for items that start (or folders that open) when you boot the PC:

1) Start>Run, type "msconfig" without the quotes, and then look in the Startup tab

2) Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder (WinXP), or C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu (Vista and Win 7)

3) Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder (WinXP)

And in the Registry at:

4) HK_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

5) HK_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

6) HK_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

7) HK_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

Uncheck or delete the entry as appropriate. Then send the Defender app that is in the Programs folder to the Recycle Bin for a bit to make sure that nothing else complains.
    Nick.

Nothing in MSCONFIG STARTUP for Defender. When I go to SAFE mode, all is well, except I'm in SAFE MODE. When I diable all in STARTUP and boot, all is well. No Defender error message. Again, I see reference to Defender in only two places, as noted above. Darn, or something like that, all was going well until that thing popped up. Will push on with all suggestions. Please post with other thoughts, and step me on this one as I don't want to mess it up. The neigbor is 90, and counts on his pictures, and SKYPE connection, and church bulletins. I'll clone the drive just for insurance. Much thanks, Jim S
    Jim S.

Does your neighbour want to remove Win Defender or only get rid of the error.
    To remove:
    Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
    Click Windows Defender, and then click Remove.

To Repair:
    Read here

Thread Information