deleted by accident
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deleted by accident

deleted by accident

I was having problems with quick time player so I tried to delete it. After a few times of trying to reinstall it it would not get rid of what ever was left so I dug a little deeper, Big mistake.

I have deleted something that affects starting almost all programs. Almost all icons look the same and when I try to open a program I get an error message asking what to open the program with.

Error reads Windows needs to know what program created it. Some will ask if I want to look it up on the web or choose from a list. Most of them don't look like what I am looking for.

I can't start a disk to try and replace the system files and I can not get into system restore. I can get on the internet with it, I can't do much else though. I think I have associated my firefox icon that opens the browser and most of the stuff on the desktop to a lnk file type.

Win xp pro on an old Alienware PC 2800 Mhz
    Last edited by sandmantoy; October 1st, 2010 at 09:03 PM.
    Remember If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Try system restore from recovery console...

If you have Windows XP CD... (if you don't have Windows CD, scroll down)

1. Boot from the CD.
    2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair or recover option by pressing R:

3. You'll find yourself at this screen:

4. Once you are at the Recovery Console you will be given at least one choice of Windows installations. Normally the choice you want is the number 1 choice. Click the number 1 key at the "top" of the keyboard and click enter.

NOTE: at this point your numbers to the right of your keyboard are turned off. If you insist on using these keys for your numbers remember to hit the Numbers Lock key before clicking a number over there or your computer will automatically reboot and you will have to wait through the previous steps to get back to the console.

5. You will be given a message asking for the administrator password. Unless someone or something has messed with your computer there is no password so you just click the Enter key.

6. This will bring you to a prompt that says:

C:\WINDOWS>

7. Type:

cd \

Press Enter

Note: between "cd" and "\" there should be a "blank space" otherwise the command won't work

8. The prompt should now say:

C:\>

9. Type:

cd system~1\_resto~1

Press Enter.

===============================================================================

Note: If it gives an error "Access Denied" while accessing the folder, follow the method below

Type: cd \

Press Enter

Type: cd windows\system32\config

Press Enter

Type: ren system system.bak

Press Enter

(note the spaces between ren and system, and then between system and system.bak)

Type: exit

Press Enter

now the computer should restart, then follow steps 1-9

===============================================================================

10. Type:

dir

Press Enter

NOTE: When you hit enter it will list all the restore points folders like "rp1", "rp2" we have to see the last restore point to copy the file from a recent backup. If the restore points have more than one page then you have keep on hitting the key to view the last restore point folder.

NOTE: It is a good rule of thumb to choose the files from the restore point folder which the second to the last one.

11. Type:

cd rp{with the second to the last restore point number }

Press Enter

Example: cd rp9. if rp10 is the last restore point

12. Type:

cd snapshot

Press Enter.

NOTICE: Now the command prompt will look like this:

c:\system~1\resto~1\rp9\snapshot

Note : restore point 9 assumed for clarity of the content.

13. Type:

copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system

Press Enter

14. Type:

Exit

Press Enter.

Final note : If the above procedure won't solve the problem, repeat all steps, but in step 13 type:

copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software

Alternatively, select different restore point.

If you don't have Windows CD...

Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
    Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
    Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD (use "Write image file to disc" option).
    Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
    When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

Follow steps 3 - 14.

Everything works up to number 10. After that this is what I get.

The volume in drive c:\ has no label
    The volume serial number is e006-aabd

directory of C:\

10/01/10 02:57p d-r----- 0 Downloads
    02/18/04 06:05p -afg---- 243 My pictures

There are about 57 lines of that and it is random dates and times. Is that what I am looking for or is it more broken than we thought? After the last line in the directory it goes back to C:\>

If that was where I was supposed to end up, I did not know how to pick one. There was no RP1 or RP2 to choose. Sorry the more broken is my (nervous and beyond the edge of my ability's by a step or two) thing lol. Your instructions worked great up to that point. I have been trying not to fix it as I don't want to make it worse but I have been looking around. A few programs are missing and many will not respond or open. Looks like a head on collision, you know a head light works and the horn beeps but the rest needs to be dragged away I will check back tomorrow. Thanks.
    Last edited by sandmantoy; October 2nd, 2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: add something

There was no RP1 or RP2 to choose
    For some reason, your restore points may be missing.

If you're able to bring up Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL), click on "New Task" and run system file checker:
    sfc /scannow

Windows cannot open this file:

File: sfc.exe

To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer.

What to do?

The web service wants me to download a program but I can not open it.

Select the program from a list

Recommended programs:
    Firefox
    Notepad
    Winfx runtime Components
    WinZip Exicutable
    Other Programs:
    adobe reader 9.2
    Internet Explorer
    Microsoft Word
    Real-Draw
    swriter
    Paint
    Windows Media Player
    WordPad
    XPSViewer.exe

These are the choices to pick from. This is what I get when I try to open anything. There are a few things that open but even getting on the internet is by chance as a few things on the start up menu automatically start the browser. It will not open manually if I shut the browser down. In the above list is there one I can pick?

System processes don't have much on the list as there usually is. I don't know what is missing from it. I would say there is more than 15 or 20 processes missing. Here is a list of what is up:

klwtblfs.exe Admin
    rundll32.exe Admin
    taskmgr.exe Admin
    alg.exe local serv
    firefox.exe Admin
    plugin-container Admin
    svchost.exe network service
    ati2evxx.exe system
    svchost.exe system
    snmp.exe system
    UAService.exe system
    svchost.exe system
    PnkBstrB system
    MsPMSPSv.exe sys
    svchost.exe network service
    PunkBstrA.exe sys
    explorer.exe Admin
    svchost.exe sys
    ati2evxx.exe sys
    jqs.exe sys
    lsass.exe sys
    sevices.exe sys
    winlogon.exe sys
    csrss.exe sys
    smss.exe sys
    CTSVCCDA.exe sys
    mscorsvw.exe sys
    avp.exe sys
    svchost.exe local service
    spoolsv.exe sys
    svchost.exe local service
    svchost.exe sys
    system sys
    system idle process sys

Quote Originally Posted by sandmantoy View Post
    Everything works up to number 10. After that this is what I get.

The volume in drive c:\ has no label
    The volume serial number is e006-aabd

directory of C:\

10/01/10 02:57p d-r----- 0 Downloads
    02/18/04 06:05p -afg---- 243 My pictures
    Looks like you forgot number 9

9. Type:
    cd system~1\_resto~1
    Press Enter.

The prompt should then be:
    directory of C:\system~1\_resto~1

Another way to get to a previous Restore Point might be to boot to Safe mode with command prompt from the boot menu.
    From there type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
    This will bring up your Restore Points.

I have never used system restore so I may not have any restore points. Is that possible. I assumed it was automatic.

I can not find the restore points even using both methods provided. I should have known better for making this mistake. Would replacing the system files bring this computer back to life?
    Last edited by sandmantoy; October 3rd, 2010 at 09:34 PM.

Let's try something....

Download and run exeHelper.

* Please download exeHelper from Raktor to your desktop.
    * Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
    * A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
    * A log file named log.txt will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com
    * Attach the log.txt file to your next message.[/LIST]

Note: If the window shows a message that says "Error deleting file", please re-run the program before posting a log.

See, if your programs will open now.

I downloaded it but again I could not get it to open.

I was curious if there or what I needed to open it, it was clearly not on the list. Here is what I found to try.

http://filext.com/faq/broken_exe_association.php

I have been working on it for about an hour and a half. All my short cuts on the desktop look like they did before my mistake. I can click on the browser and it will open now. I figured I would write this before I restarted the computer lol. In case I made it worse, hopefully I will return in a few moments...

I am still here :-) The computer is working much better, there are a few programs that are associated with the wrong program or extension and my programs that where missing are back. My screen flickers when I open or close something and it did not do that before so I know there is something still wrong. Should I still run the exe helper you referenced? I am sure the registry needs some cleaning up.

Never use any registry cleaners.
    Registry tools are not recommended and here is why: http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/...eaking_13.html

You can surely try exehelper.

Do you have Windows XP CD?

It still will not open the exe helper. Can you point me in the direction to learn how to take care of my registry. I have to admit I have always been one of those people that use cleaners. I have used registry repair pro for years it has been ok but I did suspect it for some problems. I used an older version not one like they have out now. My anti virus program disabled it sometime ago so I haven't used anything for some time.

Registry cleaners shouldn't be used. Period.
    If you read my link, you know, by now, why.

I don't think, your issues can be solved by playing with registry. Too dangerous.
    Your best option is to get/borrow Windows XP CD and perform repair installation.

I have the product recovery CD for the system from alienware. There is also a master CD, probably the alienware logos. Can you please direct me to your favorite instructions to do this repair installation. Thanks again.

Thread Information