High Pitch Sound

Thread: High Pitch Sound

High Pitch Sound

Hello, I have a high pitched continuous sound out of the speakers. The mic volume lowers it and mic mute makes it almost go away.
    Computer is a Gateway 2.86 desktop with XP home.
    I have never needed the mic before but do now and can not record anything because of the low whistle when mic is un muted.
    It started this out of the blue one day about a year ago and when I stumbled on the mic mute and could only hear it with speakers turned all the way up....I was ok.
    But now would like to use mic....an suggestions greatly
    appreciated.

Bert

This sounds like you could be getting feedback. Can you move either (or both) the mic or speakers? If so try different positions and see if you can get the noise to go away.
    Nick.

I Have Tried

Thanks for the reply Super Sparks.
    I don't have a mic hooked up, front or back.
    Speakers, tried moving but not replacing.
    I have gone around the room turning off stuff and no help.
    Sounds just like a steady high pitched squeal.
    Something to do with mic circuit. Like I said, if mic un muted..can't stay in room, can't use speakers.
    Mic muted with speaker volume half way...can not hear.

Bert

Bert77--You have feedback, as SuperSparks says.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/feedback
    There is a mic (a device to receive sound) somewhere in the room. That is feeding the sound from the speakers back through the system a few milliseconds later back to the speakers and around and around.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Does the sound occur even if you power on the computer and go into the BIOS setup (don't allow Windows to start)? Have you tried different speakers or headphones? If you have powered (amplified) speakers, they amp could be bad, or it could be a bad sound card or onboard sound. Try the speakers on a different computer also.

Thanks again for the suggestions. One thing I failed to mention.
    I have GoToMy PC loaded on that computer. When I access it from another computer...I can sometimes, not always, hear the noise faintly from the other computer miles away.

Bert

Try a different mic. One with shielded cable.

I agree with Train, if it isn't feedback, then the mic is picking up some interference most likely. But I notice that you said you don't have a mic hooked up Is this a laptop with a built in mic?
    Nick.

He says above it's a desktop. Since there's no mic hooked up and the open mic input is creating the noise it would likely be a hardware or closely related issue...possibly the soundcard drivers. Go into device manager and delete the drivers for the soundcard by uninstalling it and then rebooting the computer to allow Windows to see the hardware and then reinstal the drivers.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I have an AC97 onboard running Windows 2000. I get a whistle or such at a low level that is aggravated by things like moving the mouse. I have found that when using "Stereo Mix" I have to turn up the playback volume to drown it out when recording. This has nothing to do with a microphone or external feedback.

I suspect that it is some program that is running as I did not always have this. You might try shutting off all unnecessary programs, especially processes listed in the Task Manager. If your sound works in Safe Mode, you might test that to see if the noise exists when in safe mode. I didn't get it in a new installation. So something that was added caused the problem.

Check the audio card/chip software for settings such as Microphone Noise Suppression enable or similar...
    It may assist.
    Cheers.

Thread Information