[RESOLVED] Help with Scheduled Tasks issues

Thread: [RESOLVED] Help with Scheduled Tasks issues

Resolved [RESOLVED] Help with Scheduled Tasks issues

Because of hard drive spaces issues, I've set up two Scheduled Tasks in Control Panel:

1. To run CCleaner
    2. To run a batch file to shut down the system, erase unnecessary files and reboot.

The log showed an exit code of 0 for each task, yet the low available hd space listed looks as if nothing had been deleted. When I manually run these programs, everything works fine. What's the problem?

The computer is a Compaq Presario 5400US, 256 RAM, Windows XP Prof, Windows firewall, AVG anti-virus, 5(!) GB HD, Internet Explorer 6, AOL 9, broadband Internet. We received the system as a refurbished gift (original specs were Windows XP Home, 20 GB HD). Buying a new system isn't in the picture right now, so your help is appreciated.

Does CCleaner run 100% unattended - aka does not need ANY user input?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

What happens when you schedule them for a time that you can watch the results (like 2 minutes after you schedule them)? Do the processes run as they should?

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/faq...d-run-silently
    Can CCleaner be installed and run silently?

Use a /S (uppercase) parameter when you run the installer. This will use all the default options and not bring up any option windows.

To run the cleaner silently, use the /AUTO parameter on ccleaner.exe.
    Note that if you run as Administrator, it will only clean that profile. It won't clean your user profile.

Other things you can do are reducing the space for System Restore and Recycle bin. Set the IE cache to something smaller like 50MB instead of the default.

Re:Help with Scheduled Tasks issues

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Does CCleaner run 100% unattended - aka does not need ANY user input?
    According to one website, I was given the impression that CCleaner can run 100% unattended with the /AUTO option. It suggested including the program with this option in Scheduled Tasks, which is what I did. But when I tested the task, it just opened the program, nothing else.

Re:Help with Scheduled Tasks issues

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    What happens when you schedule them for a time that you can watch the results (like 2 minutes after you schedule them)? Do the processes run as they should?
    When I tested the task for CCleaner, it just opened the program, nothing else. I think the other task worked fine.

If you are just using Task Scheduler to start CCleaner, try making a batch file with the command line to start CCleaner, then use Task Scheduler to start the batch file.

Note that if you run as Administrator, it will only clean that profile. It won't clean your user profile.
    So your user is an administrator? I just tested it on my XP VM and the /AUTO works. You can do a simple test. Create a new text doc. Put it in the Recycle bin. Then schedule the ccleaner job. It should clean out the Recycle bin when it runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    So your user is an administrator? I just tested it on my XP VM and the /AUTO works. You can do a simple test. Create a new text doc. Put it in the Recycle bin. Then schedule the ccleaner job. It should clean out the Recycle bin when it runs.
    Yes, I tried your idea today; the file was deleted from the Recycle bin. Maybe the automated task didn't seem to work right because the scheduled time might have been too close to a scheduled of another task. Thanks to you and to all the rest.

Thread Information