I'm running a sony VGNFS920 pc with Windows XP. The system has been acting weird and slowing down to a crawl and not allowing me to access teh internet.

I'm pretty sure I've gotten infected with some viruses and/or spyware that I can't seem to get rid of when I run Webroot Antivirus. So I logged onto the virtualdr and found some instructions about running the anti virus software in Safe Mode and then running hijackthis.

However, when I tried to access Safe Mode (I can get to and select the Safe Mode option from the blue screen) I get the following error message:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent further damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this screen, restart. If it appears again follow these steps:

check for viruses on your computer. Remove newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/f to check for hard drive corruption and then restart. "

Techical info:

stop: (0x0000007b (0xf89a6528, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I get this message each time I try to run in Safe Mode and I have to restart my computer using the power button. It powers up fine as long as I stay in normal mode.

I don't have any newly installed drives or hard drive controllers. so that can't be the problem.

I think my hard drive is properly configured because I haven't made any changes to its configuration.....so I think the problem is a virus one.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated....as I don't know where to begin!