[RESOLVED] Wireless Adapter for Desktop

Thread: [RESOLVED] Wireless Adapter for Desktop

Resolved [RESOLVED] Wireless Adapter for Desktop

We're moving my son's computer from one room (wired connection) to another room and I don't want to mess with running a wired connection to it.

Still new to wireless connections, so I was wondering will a USB wireless adapter work on a desktop system. I've only seen them connected to laptops in the past. If this will work, will he take any kind of speed hit by using USB instead of the PCI?

It just seems silly to open the case and install the PCI adapter if all you need to do is plug in the USB. There must be disadvantages or else there would only be USB out there in the market, right? . Obviously it's not that big a deal to open the case and slip in the card, but why bother if it's not necessary.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Paul
    ....my get-up-and-go musta got up and went....

Theoretically, USB 2.0 has enough bandwidth for USB wifi without bottlenecking it.

Another advantage of the USB adapter is that you can move it around to get a better signal. If you get a PCI card, you have to move the whole computer.

What wifi router do you have now? I generally recommend getting an adapter by the same manufacturer.

Thanks Midknyte.

I have a Linksys WRT110 wireless router connected to 2 wired computers right now. Mine will remain wired while my son's will become the wireless.
    My wife's laptop also uses the wireless connection from time to time.

I had heard that it's best to use the same brand adapter as the router.
    That's good to know that "theoretically" the USB adapter wouldn't be subject to any speed bottlenecks. What about in reality, based on your experience? Also, what about the range of reception? His computer will be located only about 20' from the router with basically only one interior wall between.

He uses the computer mainly for playing World of Warcraft, where of course any bandwidth problems would wreak havoc on game play.

Thanks for the info. I think I may just go with the USB, since they're cheap enough right now anyway. If it isn't good enough, I'll just get the PCI card.

Paul

As with any wireless network, mileage will vary.

If you have a lot of devices on your USB ports, they will contend for bandwidth. As long as you don't have a bunch of devices on there, you should have ample room for wifi. USB 2.0 has a theoretical limit of 480mbps. Fast Ethernet goes up to 100mbps.

With just 1 wall, you should still be able to get good signal. I'm assuming it's just wood or drywall and NOT concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    As with any wireless network, mileage will vary.

If you have a lot of devices on your USB ports, they will contend for bandwidth. As long as you don't have a bunch of devices on there, you should have ample room for wifi. USB 2.0 has a theoretical limit of 480mbps. Fast Ethernet goes up to 100mbps.

With just 1 wall, you should still be able to get good signal. I'm assuming it's just wood or drywall and NOT concrete.
    He has no USB devices right now, so that shouldn't be an issue. And the wall is just a simple hollow drywall partition.

I do realize each network is a different animal....I wasn't trying to hold you to any specific/exact predictions .

Thanks again.

Paul

Thread Information