Strange prob with hard drives and grub.

Thread: Strange prob with hard drives and grub.

Strange prob with hard drives and grub.

Hi,

I have in my pc two Sata drives, and one ata133 drive, and i recently put in another ata drive i recently found. Both the ata drives work independently of each other. However when they are both plugged in together i get the grub boot loader coming up.

It was definitely not installed on the new hard drive i plugged in, and while i didnt think it was installed on any of the old ones apparently it is left over from an old dual boot.

i have two questions;

why is the grub loader suddenly coming up when i have the two hard drives plugged in together.

how do i locate and delete the loader?

cheers

What drive is the BIOS set to boot from? When you added the second PATA/IDE drive, was it added to the same cable as the old one? Assuming it was, did you check the jumper settings on BOTh drives to make sure the correct one was the Master?

Hi,

The BIOS is set to boot from one of the Sata drives.

In fact the Ata133 drive i added i put at the bottom of the list for the hdd boot order to make sure.

Yeah the ata133 drives are both on the same cable and i adjusted the jumpers accordingly, and to make sure I booted with slave and master swapped over to make sure I had them right and it was.

cheers for your help.

Thread Information