Missing System32\hal.dll file.........

Thread: Missing System32\hal.dll file.........

Missing System32\hal.dll file.........

Hi,
    I just had the "can't find System32\hal.dll file" in my Win XP laptop. It appears I also had a bad boot.ini problem too.

I tried many of the fixes on the internet (trying to use recovery console, but I couldn't get past the administrator password thing), but none of them worked.

I really needed the data on the harddrive so I didn't want to do a format/re-install of the drive, so I bought a USB harddrive enclosure---put the windows unaccessable harddrive in it and VIOLA', I'm able to get at my data.

So now that I've got all my data secure and safe, I'm ready to put the same harddrive back into my laptop and try and get Windows up and running again.

Is there a way I can fix the boot.ini or system32\hal.dll problem with the bad harddrive. Presently, I've got the 'bad harddrive" connected via USB as an external drive to a 'good working' desktop. Can I fix it somehow by running some apps that can fix it this way? Or just downloading some files and replacing the corrupt ones with good ones?

Thanks for your help!
    Desktop: Pentium 4 630 2 Gb PC3200 DDR 400Mhz RAM; ASUS P5VDC-MX motherboard (share memory of 128MB); 16XDual Layer DVD-RW; 40X-CD-RW; 400 W Apex ATX PSU; Windows XP Pro, SP 2; 40GB Maxtor ATA/133 harddrive; 300GB Maxtor SATA harddrive, 16MB buffer; 300GB external USB Seagate harddrive; 3.5" floppy drive

Laptop:
    ACER ASPIRE 5672 CORE DUO T2300 1.66GHZ / 2 GB DDR Ram/ 120GB HDD / 15.4" EXGA / DVD-RW / XP PRO / 802.11BG WIRELESS / BLUETOOTH

trying to use recovery console, but I couldn't get past the administrator password thing
    I'm afraid, your only option is format, and reinstall.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    but I couldn't get past the administrator password thing
    When it asks for the password did you try just hitting the enter button? Sometimes, those passwords are left blank and all you need to do is press enter and it will take you on to the recovery console.

Thanks Photolady
    I took it as obvious...

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Not always. Some people don't think just pressing the enter button will get them through. I just like to reiterate the idea.

rhgindc--If you get past the password problem, have a look here
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...d.php?t=239851
    If you still have the password problem, but can get into Safe Mode, you could try a System Restore to a date before the problem started.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

If your boot.ini file is pointing at the wrong partition to boot xp, that will give you that hal.dll error.

If you could post the contents of your boot.ini we could probably get you going. A screen shot from disk management of that hard drive would also help.

Thread Information