Windows 7 freezes on fullscreen video
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 freezes on fullscreen video

Windows 7 freezes on fullscreen video

Hi,

I recently finished building a new comp for the first time and have installed Win 7 64bit. Everytime I try playing a video in fullscreen mode (VLC, Windows Media Player, Youtube) , it hangs and I have to use the reset button to restart my computer.

I have an ATI RADEON 4850 graphics card, 8gb of A-DATA DDR3 RAM and an 850w psu. I am running Win 7 64bit. I have installed the latest drivers for my graphics card and Motherboard.

Thanks!
    Last edited by dozie; June 28th, 2009 at 02:54 PM.

See if they have any win 7 drivers for the video card.

Maybe Beta.

I downloaded the drivers for Windows 7 64-bit of the AMD website and installed them....

Would this be a RAM issue by any chance?

...because I think I may have to get new RAM (everytime I start up it gives me the three beeps, then I get it up and running, turn it on...same thing)

3 Short Beeps : AMI BIOS

Your computer has memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad.

AWARD BIOS
    ram problem.

Alright, so here is what I did. First, I tried resetting the CMOS, nothing changed. Next, I tried reseating all the RAM at once. Still the 3 beeps. Finally, I reseated the RAM one stick at a time then booted. Basically, I had to reseat one stick, boot, one stick, boot.

So is it for sure a RAM problem (like incompatibility)? Would this fix my fullscreen issue as well?

Thanks for your help

Sounds like compatability problem as you suggested to me also.

When we mix brands/ what ever generally we get one of 3 things.

1. Will not boot.
    2. Get all kinds of weird hair pulling errors.
    3. Works just fine.

Check out what crucial has to say about ram for your rig.
    www.crucial.com/

Its all one brand though (A-DATA) but they were not mentioned in the tested RAM for my motherboard...prob should have checked. Oh well, its my first time, now I know

Thanks, I will check out Crucial

Cheap brands like that can really mess us up

Alright, good to know. I went to the crucial webbsite and found RAM that is guarnteed compatible Hopefully that will fix my grpahics prob as well.

Thanks!

A lot of us here use crucial [which is micron's website] ram.

Need less to say there are other good brands also.

So I got some of that Crucial RAM that you reccommeded that is 100% guarnteed to work. It solved the beeping issue (yay!) but alas, the video problem still persists.

Video card is probably overheating, anyway that is a classic example of overheating.

Remove the card, use canned air and clean the dust and junk outof the air passages.
    Something like q-tips and 90+% alcohol to clean the fan blades. Reinstall and test.

When I lived in the Seattle area, I had to do a complete computer clean every 3 weeks.
    Here, 2 x a year is plenty.

I will try right after lunch I was also thinking of installing a VM of Ubuntu to see if it was a software or a hardware problem...

I finally got Ubuntu (32 bit) to boot into a live cd and a streaming DivX file loaded and played fine fullscreen.

I tried your suggestion before that and it didnt work

Thanks for your help!

Edit: So I tried a streaming the same DivX file in fullscreen mode in Win 7 and it worked! Then I tried a flash video and it froze. So it is a flash issue for sure. I will reinstall flash and report back
    Last edited by dozie; June 30th, 2009 at 04:09 PM.

Thread Information