HDMI
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDMI

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back

HDMI

I recently, as in yesterday built a new computer. The new video card has an HDMI plug. My new LCD 32" TV also has HDMI. Has anyone ever hooked up their computer to this type of connection on their TV? Is quality good, bad or ?

The video component of HDMI is the same as DVI. So it should work as would a monitor of the same size and resolution using a DVI connection. One complication can be that TV native resolutions are not necessarily the same as computer/monitor video resolutions, and the TV manufacturer may not provide a driver for using the TV as a monitor. So it may take some experimenting to get the resolution/aspect ratio set up correctly.
    Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

The manual says resolution is 1366x768 (WXGA).

I might still try it, but probably won't use it exclusively for a monitor. Some time in the future I plan to buy an LCD monitor, probably a 22 or 26".

Thanks for the information Platypus

You're welcome. 1366x768 is the same as my 32" LCD TV, I can use it over HDMI as a monitor for my laptop if I wish. The closest standard resolution is 1360x768 which is OK, but not perfect. I've never actually done anything more than play an occasional DVD from the laptop to the TV though, so I've never experimented further with it.
    Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

Remember this statement?
    Some time in the future I plan to buy an LCD monitor, probably a 22 or 26".
    I ordered a Samsung 22" last night, it will be here Wednesday this coming week.

This one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001254

Hope you enjoy it!

I have a Toshiba 32in 1080p LCD television that I use for my monitor. It was simple to install, needing no additional drivers, with the only adjustment being the resolution being set on the desptop to 1920 x 1080. The video card I have has a DVI output port to which I connect a DVI to HDMI cable and the TV recognizes the output natively. Before buying the TV, I tested the video output and picture on each of the LCD TVs I already had, 1 being 1080p and the other 720. The picture was excellent on both. Your result shoudl be similar.
    If life was simple then it would be no fun.

Regards, Mike

Even though I bought the larger monitor, I'm going to hook this up to the tv sometime or other as soon as I can afford the HDMI cables (man those things are expensive) LOL .

Thanks Mike for the help.

Just thought i'd throw in my £0.02 aswell, a little late to the party again...

I'm using my TV as my main monitor now, have done so for a few months, picked up a belkin DVI to HDMI cable and have my new shiny sammy 37" 1920 x 1080, and my 24" as a secondary, great for PC gaming and videos.

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

Thanks Liam. Good to see you!!

My video card has HDMI as well as DVI, though I think one cancels the other if both are in use. However, my new monitor has VGA and so does my video card, I could probably hook the monitor up to that and use the HDMI for the TV. After building the new computer in my signature, I'm still waiting on the extra money to show up so I can buy those cables.

Speaking of cables, are there any certain types I should be looking for? I see them priced anywhere from $9.99 to $94.99.

Like these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882021040

Or these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882155289

Lots of opinions on this one but having spent my entire working life dealing with audio and video cabling I believe that the answer is in the middle of the two extremes. I wouldn't buy noname cheap cables under any circumstance but I also wouldn't spend unecessary money for video/audiophile cables either.

The only reason I'd lean towards the higher price would be if I experienced problems or knew before hand there were going to be any issues using average quality cabling (eg- RF interference because of a neighbour who had a radio transmitter or I lived near a telecom tower)... and even that wouldn't be guarantee the situation would be fixed.. just slightly better odds.

Otherwise I'd buy name brand cabling at a moderate price. If the absolute range is 9.99 to 99.99 I'd expect to spend around 25 dollars (unless the 25 dollar cable is on sale for 9.99 LOL)

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I have bought several of these cables and Fink's advice is good advice. Monster cables are notoriously overpriced. Take a look at the user ratings on the two cables you linked and you will see most users were happy with the cheaper cables and most were unhappy with the more expensive Monster cables. I noticed both cables were in the 13 to 15 foot length range. One thing to consider is getting a cable that is long enough but not excessively long as the shorter the cable the less quality loss and RF interference you can expect. The shorter the cable, the lower "quality" (more price than anything) cable you can use as long as it is not a "no-name" cable.

Just my thoughts and 2 cents.
    If life was simple then it would be no fun.

Regards, Mike

Thanks fink and Mike. I have decided to go with the Rosewil cables as they got the best reviews. Plus the specs on the Rosewil cables seem to be better than the Monster cables specs.

The reason for the lenghty cables is my TV is across the room from my computer, straight behind me. I would have to go over my head (above me) to connect the two. That means across the ceiling and down to the TV which is about 13 to 15 feet.

Best get out a measuring tool.

Bet you have about 10 - 12 foot just going up and down the walls.

Probably end up somewhere near 20 - 24 foot being needed.

Thread Information