A couple USB Hub questions

Thread: A couple USB Hub questions

A couple USB Hub questions

I had a hub in the past but it was a USB 1.1 so having, mouse, keyboard etc in it was fine but two flash drives copying stuff from one to another would usually lock up after a while then the windows would disapear and I would be left with some corrupt files on the destination.

Will this happen with a 2.0 hub or are they fast enough?

Price - I have seen own brand ones for next to nothing and then prices going up and up, is there a difference with the more expensive ones?

I have noticed that some of the cheap ones dont have a 5v power socket and some of the more expensive ones also come with a 5v power supply as well.

Just to add the computer I had between then and now had enough sockets but now I have a laptop so need more.
    Last edited by Carenza; February 27th, 2009 at 10:56 AM.

Get a powered hub. One that pugs into the wall socket to get electricty.
    That should stop that mess.

An add on card that has USB ports should also work but just make sure your computer's power supply is big enough.

These cards are pretty cheap.

Doc
    "To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer."

Home Build Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz, 2 Gig RAM, Dual Boot XP Pro and Ubuntu 8.04LS

I'd get one with a 5 volt supply, and one without for a laptop. As Train says, the powered ones are definitely better, but an unpowered one can be handy if you are out and about, as you don't need to find anywhere to plug it in, and it should be fine for a couple of flash drives, or a mouse and keyboard, none of which draw much power.
    Nick.

Thread Information