Sony v300g
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony v300g

Sony v300g

Ok Im having problems with my sony, if I let it sit all night it will boot up no problem run as long as I leave it on no problems but if I try to restart the computer for what ever reason it will freeze just after making the post beep and seeing the harddrive and dvd... Theres a curser flashing and thats it.... I can still get into the bios at this point but thats all, I tried replacing the ram and running it with NO harddrive and it still does the same thing, I even dug way down into the system and cleared the CMOS. I feel if I could flash the bios the problem would go away but I cant even find an update!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check your power supply.

If you have, or can borrow, a multimeter, here's how to test the power supply:

Testing PSU Voltages

ATX Power Supplies

Trigger Power Supply for testing

In depth look at the power supply

Or alternatively you can buy a proper PSU tester, they don't cost much:

PSU Tester

ATX12V PSU Tester

Even without a meter, you can still short the pins to see whether the new PSU starts up or not.

PSU is fine, computer runs for days without any issues so long as I dont try and restart it or turn it off and back on... My psu tester wont connect it it its not a normal psu.

Your choice, but that can be a sure sign of failing capacitors in the power supply.

Well like i said my psu tester wont connect to it and I dont know how to test it anyother way because its not a normal psu I dont know what connector is suppost to be what voltage...

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/PCVV300G.pdf
    Sony Customer Information Services Center

If other support options do not resolve your issue, you can contact a Sony Support representative directly.

Before making a call to the Sony Customer Information Services Center, have this basic information readily available.
    1. VAIO® computer system type.

2. Model number.

3. Serial number(2).

Example:

4. Operating system.

5. Hardware feature or software program that has a problem. (See the online VAIO® Computer User Guide for the appropriate software technical support information.)

6. Brief description of the issue.
    For VAIO® computers purchased in the U.S. and Canada, contact a Sony Support representative at 1-888-476-6972.

(1) Upgrade and maintenance information may not be available for all computer models.

(2) The serial number is located on the back panel of your computer. The serial number is on a white barcode label.
    ?

Yeah Ummm

1. Its out of warranty support
    2. I would end up talkig to some moron reading a script
    3. They will NOT beable to tell me the correct places to put my volt meter.

I really expected some better insight from here.

It is a rather unusual one this It's clutching at straws a bit, but try replacing the motherboard battery.
    Nick.

I removed the mobo battery and it didnt help

I meant replace the battery with a new one - failing batteries do sometimes cause some weird problems.
    Nick.

You can also just remove the battery. Computer will run just fine with no battery.

The computer is up and running right now and does ot seem to have any issues... runs fast and all but if I try to restart it it will not come back past the bios screen.

Well so far its restarted 3 times no problem... I guess pulling the battery and letting it sit for a few days is what it needed.

Yeah, I've heard of that, where occasionally they seem to hold the charge for a long while. We'll keep our fingers crossed that it's fixed
    Nick.

Hmm... I loaded vista home premium on it and everytime I try to use the tv tuner in media center the computer crashes... Any ideas? No newer drivers then what I have that Im aware of...

Thread Information