New computer build freezing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New computer build freezing

New computer build freezing

Okay, to start off, this is my first time ever attempting to build a computer, so ive had a couple bumps in the road, but now that everything seems to be finished, im having a weird issue.

My computer is deciding that it wants to freeze for no apparant reason.

Parts:

Intel Extreme Series DP45SG motherboard
    MSI R4830 1GB Graphics Card
    Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66 ghz processor
    6GB DDR3 1333 Gskill Ram
    500GB Seagate Sata Hard drive

Originally it was crashing, giving me the BSOD, and restarting. I had done a fresh install of vista ultimate 64 bit, and installed all the drivers off the cd's that came with the hardware. The BSOD said something about display drivers, so i downloaded the updated drivers from

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_ca...common-vista64

and the BSOD stopped coming up. I was fairly certain that everything was fixed now, so i proceeded to load all my files onto the hard drive. I installed my programs, popped in World of Warcraft, played for about 3 hours, not mentioning the 2 that the computer was on before i started playing with no problems at all. To test that the computer could perform how i wanted it to, i ran itunes playing music, winamp playing a video, a youtube video playing in the background, world of warcraft up and running, and there were no issues. I was sure i was finished and was very happy with it.

Later that night i played some more World of Warcraft and was very pleased with my framerate while doing high end "raiding" but suddenly the computer froze again, and hitting the reset button, ctrl alt del, or the power button did nothing. I eventually had to shut it off from the switch in the back, and when i tried to boot up again, it froze before i could start my game. It worked for a good 4 hours earlier, so i dont know why it was freezing during the raiding.

My only idea is that the video card is overheating or the drivers are still wrong, as it was froze in the more graphic heavy moment of the gameplay.

Any ideas? I am scared to run the game anymore, much less any applications, as i dont want to overheat any of my new parts, rendering them useless.

Also i loaded up a voip client, and the sound didnt work hardly at all. All the voice came in garbled, and earlier the sound was exceptionally quiet while listening to music. I tried to open the Sound controls, and they only open when nothing is plugged in. If something is in the jack, it gives me a .dll error and turns off.

update: I downloaded everest to try to get a readout on my temperatures, and the only thing im getting the temperature from is my harddrive. Its only registering one fan (probably the cpu fan as its the only one that plugs into the motherboard) and im getting no readout on the video card, processor or motherboard. Do i need to configure it or something?

Everest is to old and out of date for your computer.
    Try PC WIZARD
    http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

downloaded pc wizard. Doesnt seem to be picking up my graphics card heat level.

processor is:

Core 1 30C
    Core 2 33C
    Core 3 41C
    Core 4 27C

Hard disk is 29C

Are any of these too high? The 41 seems a bit too high to me, but maybe im crazy. Not really sure how hot this processor is supposed to run. And its not overclocked at all.

My video card is plugged into the lower slot on the motherboard. Would this have anything to do with it? Its a long card, and in the top slot it comes very close to hitting the power switch cords, so i moved it down. Could this be effecting its cooling as well, since it is lower than the side panel fan?

The temps you listed are fine. I would guess it's most likely your graphics card that the cause of your problem. Have you tried running your computer with the side panel off and a small fan directed at the card? By now I'm sure you visually checked the fans(all) to make sure they're all running. Lastly, if the card is not over heating it could be a faulty card. In that case a replacement card would solve your problem.

One last thought: are the driver the right ones for your OS. You didn't mention whether you're running Windows XP or Vista. Some Vista drivers can cause probs.
    The true test of character is not how much we
    know how to do, but how we behave when we don't know what to do

im using vista ultimate 64 bit. I downloaded the latest drivers from the ATI site, and it stopped the blue screen crashing, but now its freezing.

I havent tried the fan idea yet. if i point a fan directly at it, and it still freezes, that would help to assume its just a faulty card?

Would moving it up to the top slot help pc wizard to detect it? It would be nice to get an actual readout of the temperature

Quote Originally Posted by ph0en1xtk View Post
    downloaded pc wizard. Doesnt seem to be picking up my graphics card heat level.
    This one instead should show

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ( clean )

the program you linked did read everything, and whenever i would hit my print screen button, or try to maximize the paint window to crop the screenshot, i got blue screened. Heres a screenshot, after about 3 BSOD's

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...Untitled-1.jpg

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    What power supply are you using?

using a 575w dual fan pci express sli ready power supply. dunno the brand name

Some interesting figures.

HD4870 X2-262W
    HD4870 - 130W
    HD4850 X2 - 230W
    HD4850 OC -133W
    HD4850 - 110W

The make is of interest as cheap ps can have a total lie as to their size.

checked my order history on newegg

says its a logisys, and after further searching, have seen reviews that state it is only pushing out 450 for them.

Seems you need a better ps then.

The 600 here will do the trick.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...8791&name=XION

The 500 I think is a tad small.

yeah i saw a couple reviews that said the power supply was bad, not pushing out enough power, and they repeatedly had crashes until they bought a new one.

Before i return it and rush out to grab a new one, is there any way the crashes could be related to anything else?

We have eliminated overheating.

Possible for a driver to be messing things up.

And what power requirements did KGG's link say you needed?

Thread Information