[RESOLVED] Disabled display adapter

Thread: [RESOLVED] Disabled display adapter

Resolved [RESOLVED] Disabled display adapter

Dell Optiplex GX620, Windows XP, I wanted to install a better video card than the one onboard. The manual said first disable the onboard video before installing the new card. I went into control panel, Display, Settings, Advanced, Properties, Device usage, selected Do not use this device (disabled). On reboot, I thought I would get a crude 16 colors display but instead the screen is completely blank. The computer works but I cannot see the anything. How can I change the Device usage to Use this device (enabled)? Any help would be much appreciated.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    After having removed/disabled the onboard. Install your new card, that should work to get you back onscreen. If not, then just after booting up, tap the F8 key. You'll see a few menu options, one being "enable VGA mode". If that doesn't work, try "Last Known Configuration" that should take you back to before you disabled the onboard, which should have been done in the BIOS/setup, not in windows.

I have tried tapping F8 and selecting Enable VGA Mode as well as Last Known Good Configuration, neither worked. I still have just a blank screen. The problem as you said is the disable was done in Windows. Is there a way I can change the configuration back to enable in Windows, by a registry setting for example?

Another strange thing is the computer won't boot up in F8, safe mode. The screen freezes when it reaches a file called Mup.sys. Thanks Photolady.

Quote Originally Posted by Norense View Post
    Dell Optiplex GX620...
    If applicable,
    To access the CMOS/BIOS menu and disable onboard video,
    Try pressing the F2 key after a cold boot.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Norense View Post

Another strange thing is the computer won't boot up in F8, safe mode. The screen freezes when it reaches a file called Mup.sys.
    I've seen it take up to roughly 30 minutes to get past the MUP.SYS file.

If all else fails-> install the new video card.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thanks all.

Used the F2 suggestion from Shinma, no difference.

I cannot see anything once the computer boots past the Windows XP splash screen so there is no way to install new drivers. I may just have to install another copy of XP. Will I have two copies of XP or will the reinstall overwrite the old copy?

The reinstall will overwrite the original.

Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by pressing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to perform a re-install of WinXP

Repair XP

WinXP Non-destructive Total Rebuild
    Nick.

Resolved

I reinstalled XP. All is now working. I lost some data in My Documents folder but that was all. Thanks everyone.

You're very welcome. I'm glad you got it sorted out
    Nick.

Thread Information