[RESOLVED] Hyper-Threading

Thread: [RESOLVED] Hyper-Threading

Resolved [RESOLVED] Hyper-Threading

How important is this?

I got a CPU (Intel Pentium 4 2.26ghz) that does not support hyper-threading.
    http://www.intel.com/products/ht/hyp...ading_more.htm

There is a CPU (Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz) that does support hyper-threading. Is it worth upgrading for $80?
    Originally wanted Millenium Falcon as nick but there is character limitation.
    Falcon Speed = Millenium Falcon = Light Speed

No.
    Cheers.

Too much money for such old technology.

The chips came out in the order:
    P4
    P4 w/HT
    Dual Core
    Core 2 Duo

This chip would kill the 3gig HT chip:
    Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail $73.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116072
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Hyper-threading....I thought that's what happens when my wife is in her sewing room and having her fourth cup of coffee....

You aren't going to see enough difference to make it worth your while. Like being able to sense the performance difference between 89 and 90 octane gasoline....and like SRJ mentioned, it's old hat.
    Desktop: Intel i7 960 CPU @ 4.0GHz, EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI mobo, 12GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000 DDR3 RAM, Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB Solid State Drive, Two WD 2TB SATA drives, 2x EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked graphics cards in SLI, Coolermaster HAF X full tower case, OCZ ZX 1250w PSU, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
    Laptop: MSI GT60-004US, 2x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSD Hybrid drives in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GeForce 670M 3GB graphics card, Networks 'Killer' N-1103 WLAN card

That Wolfdale chip probably won't work on an older motherboard unless there is a BIOS update available to support it.

Hyperthreading never worked particularly well on P4's. It's been re-introduced on the i7 (Nehalem) chips, from what I've read it works somewhat better. I hope to be building an i7 rig in the not too far distant future, and I'm looking forward to seeing 8 CPU graphs in Task Manager
    Nick.

Thank You for helping me save with the information provided! Bistro, you give a new meaning to "hyper-threading". BTW... Octane comparison gives me good perspective.

Steve, that CPU uses less than the 3.0 ghz and if it performs better, that is great. Only thing is, it is not the same socket as the 2.26ghz which is a 478.
    Last edited by Falcon Speed; January 27th, 2009 at 01:31 PM.

Check out 3 or 4 of the links here
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/d...hmarks,31.html

And check out how the CPUs do.

Benchmarking with several programs. Interesting!

Thanks Train

Thread Information