Vista SP2: What’s inside?

Thread: Vista SP2: What’s inside?

Vista SP2: What’s inside?

On December 2, Microsoft made the latest beta build of SP2 available for download by any TechNet and Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) subscribers.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1745
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Hopefully by now all the problems associated with driver compatibility that dogged SP1 would have been resolved by Microsoft and the computer vendors. A lot of those problems were associated with OEM versions of the Operating System.
    1. Dimension C521; Athlon64x2; 3.25 GHz RAM; 320GB HD; 256MB Radeon X 1300 PRO ; Windows 7 PRO - 32 bit; Windows Security Essentials; Firefox v3; MS Live Mail; MalwareBytes Antimalware.
    2. Studio XPS 7100;Studio Phenom II X61055T 2.8GHz;8 GB RAM;Radeon HD 5450;1 TB HD;Windows 7 PRO- 64 bit; Windows Security Essentials;Malwarebytes Antimalware; MS LIve Mail; Firefox v4; Acronis True Image 2011, RollBack.

As with all versions of Windows - "Joe Blow" scanner making company for example, is the company responsible for making drivers for their scanners. In theory, they've now had more time to make drivers for their seven year old scanner. But odds are, they still haven't invested any time or money in making the drivers..They'd prefer you to purchase a newer model.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

You also have to consider the issue from the vendors side.Why should they spend thousands on pounds on getting Vista drivers wriiten and approved for every piece of hardware they manufactured pre Vista that is no longer bringing in any revenue to the company.With a little thought from MS the XP drivers could possibly be made to run in a sandboxed enviroment.

My previous post did not refer to third party hardware. Dell sold me hardware that would not operate properly with their version of OEM Vista that they also sold me, by that I mean inability to install SP1 without any fuss or bother. Their support failed to come up with solution, as did Microsoft SP1 support. Some finger pointing there. It was only months of regularly running Driver Max, and installing every driver update they found - around twenty or so - that I have been able to install SP1. No third party hardware involved here, all drivers for stuff inside the box. I don't even know, or at this point care which driver did the trick.

I think that we as consumers have allowed Microsoft and computer vendors to create a dangerous no man's land as regards who is responsible for what. Microsoft will not support OEM software and vendors say that software is not their responsibility.

Can you imagine taking your Chevy to a dealer, under warranty or not, complaining your battery is not charging, and the dealer telling you that was not his problem, because the generator was GE, the computer control from NEC and the battery from John Blow?. Well that is in my opinion what is happening with computers.
    1. Dimension C521; Athlon64x2; 3.25 GHz RAM; 320GB HD; 256MB Radeon X 1300 PRO ; Windows 7 PRO - 32 bit; Windows Security Essentials; Firefox v3; MS Live Mail; MalwareBytes Antimalware.
    2. Studio XPS 7100;Studio Phenom II X61055T 2.8GHz;8 GB RAM;Radeon HD 5450;1 TB HD;Windows 7 PRO- 64 bit; Windows Security Essentials;Malwarebytes Antimalware; MS LIve Mail; Firefox v4; Acronis True Image 2011, RollBack.

Thread Information