Dell Inspiron 5160 Video Problem

Thread: Dell Inspiron 5160 Video Problem

Dell Inspiron 5160 Video Problem

I have a Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop that I am not getting any video on. The screen is black. Normally I would suspect the inverter or the lcd backlight as the culprit.

But when I hook this laptop up to an external monitor all I see is the desktop wallpaper with no icons. The desktop wallpaper is a picture of a coffee cup. I do hear the laptop boot into windows so it sounds as if it is working.

If I right click and then try to get into the display properties on the external monitor nothing happens so am I correct in assuming that this would be a bad video card? Would a bad video card cause the laptop lcd not to come on and would a bad video card cause the external analog port also not to work correctly?

Did you try booting it via the external monitor into safe mode and have you rechecked the screen is enabled which is usually FN+ F8 or in the bios?

Ok, I am able to boot into Safe Mode and see everything with the external monitor. Since I can now see everything in Safe Mode I assume that my video card is ok even though it is through the external vga port.

I got into Safe Mode and then selected Last Known Good Configuration. Once I did that I was able to boot into Normal Mode on the external monitor and see all my desktop icons but I still don't have any LCD screen on the laptop. So it appears that I have either a bad inverter or LCD or maybe both.

Thread Information