No packets received, stuck on acquiring network address

Thread: No packets received, stuck on acquiring network address

Exclamation No packets received, stuck on acquiring network address

Hi there.
    I have just got a d link dwa 140 wirless N usb adapter for my pc running windows XP. i'm trying to connect to a d link dir 635 wireless N router which is connected to our cable modem. When i click connect using either the d link or winxp utility, the status remains on acquiring network address indefinitely, and packets are sent by not received. i have not put any security on the network for simplicity - hopefully try to get the internet working with no security and then go from there.
    now, a few things that i've tried. I've tried setting the IP address manually and reserving that address on the router – it says that it's connected, but still no packets are being received, thus no internet. windows firewall is off on my computer, and i've just reinstalled windows and formatted, so there is no antivirus software. I have MAC address filtering on on the router, and the correct MAC address is entered.
    ipconfig/all looks like this:

connection-specific DNS suffix:
    description : d link dwa 140 rangebooster N usb adapter
    physical address: 00-1E-8-B0-C8-68
    autoconfiguration enabled: yes
    ip addres: 0.0.0.0
    subnet mask: 0.0.0.0
    default gateway:
    DHCP server:255.255.255.255

there are three other Mac running OS X 10.4.11 connected to this network, and they all receive internet perfectly.
    i've tried uninstalling and reinstalled the adapter, and restarting wireless zero configuration.

this problem has stumped me quite a bit and any help would be greatly appreciated

If not done so already,
    Try the most current driver for the wireless USB adapter available from the manufacturers' website.
    Make sure that the system using the wireless USB adapter is attempting to connect to your own router and not some nearby neighbour's wireless router.
    Cheers.

Try turning off the MAC address filtering -- it doesn't really provide any security (they're trivial to sniff, and trivial to spoof), and the symptoms you describe are classic of a security mismatch somewhere in the setup (incorrect WPA key, dodgy MAC filtering etc).
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

"i have not put any security on the network for simplicity - hopefully try to get the internet working with no security and then go from there."

The problem is not a security mismatch, because there is no security on the network.

I've have MAC address filtering on, off and on any which way - doesn't make a difference. Reformatted, reinstalled windows, only installed the drivers for the motherboard and graphics, then installed this wireless card as per instructions - stuck on acquiring network address. Every other appliance and computer can connect to the network. I'd have to assume the computer is incompatible with the wireless adapter.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless USB adapter.

Verify the SSID of the wireless adapter matches the SSID of the router.
    Try releasing and then renewing the IP address

Edit one device the router is • IEEE 802.11n (draft 2.0) whilst the USB adaptor is 802.11n (draft 1.0) maybe a query to their technical support over this re compatability?
    Note there are two versions of the router A1 & B1

Thread Information