2 IPS, 2 Routers, 1 Server not using proper gateway

Thread: 2 IPS, 2 Routers, 1 Server not using proper gateway

2 IPS, 2 Routers, 1 Server not using proper gateway

Network Setup:
    (ignore the astericks(*) as it wouldn't keep my white space)
    *********DSL
    **********|
    **********|
    ******---SWITCH------
    ******|***********|
    ****ROUTER(A) ROUTER(B)
    ******|***********|
    ******|***********|
    ******-----****------
    *********|****|
    *********SWITCH
    ***********|
    ***********|
    *********SERVER

ROUTER (A)
    WAN IP : X.X.X.179
    INTERNAL: 192.168.1.254

ROUTER (A)
    WAN IP : X.X.X.180
    INTERNAL: 192.168.2.254

SERVER (1 NIC, 2 IPS, 2 GATEWAYS) WINDOWS HOME SERVER 2003
    IPS: 192.168.1.1 (APACHE)
    192.168.2.1 (IIS)

My problem is when I set the default gateway to 192.168.1.254 the apache website works but the IIS website doesn't. If I change it to 192.168.2.254 they IIS website works and not the Apache. I have tried putting in both gateways and doesn't help. It seems like it just ignores the second one until the first one fails. y Not sure why it doesn't use the proper gateway depending on what IP address it comes in on. is there a way to get this to work?

Hi

im not sure i understand your setup do you have both routers connecting to the same network adapter. if so when you assign one ip address it is no longer a part of the other ip range so it is communicating using one router.

is this correct?

What i would recommend if this is correct, is to if possible add another network adapter to the machine and run the second router into this. Then use one web server on each adapter
    "If it aint broke don't fix it"

The best solution to this is to get a real router that can handle multiple public IP addresses, then set the server to be e.g. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2.

I suspect tommy101's suggestion will do the trick though, and be a bunch cheaper.

Note that in both of those cases there's an underlying "... if you can get it to work in WHS." WHS only officially supports a single NIC on a single network; there's no support for multihoming.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

My server only has 1 NIC card and is an HP MediaSmart Server so I'm not able to add a second NIC. I have both routers feeding into a switch and the server is connected to that switch. I just don't understand why it would only use the one gateway. If something comes in on 192.168.2.1 it should route it back through the router(B) 192.168.1.254 and if it comes in on 192.168.1.1 it should route it back through router(A) 192.168.1.254. Not sure why it would only use the one route. Is there a way to set a rule that if anything comes in on 192.168.2.1 to route it though 192.168.2.254?

not sure on that one burbeck never come across that situation. You could however add another USB NIC to a HP media smart server
    "If it aint broke don't fix it"

Quote Originally Posted by burbeck View Post
    I just don't understand why it would only use the one gateway. If something comes in on 192.168.2.1 it should route it back through the router(B) 192.168.1.254 and if it comes in on 192.168.1.1 it should route it back through router(A) 192.168.1.254. Not sure why it would only use the one route.
    Because in general, routing is done based on the destination address rather than the source address. It's possible to configure source-based routing in routers and stuff, but I don't know of any way to do it in Windows.

If you actually have two interfaces and attach one server to each, I believe the return traffic will normally end up on the interface you want by virtue of its source address (that's a hunch, not fact), and from there the regular routing will take it out the router you want. With one interface, however, there's no differentiation between the two paths.

It'd be interesting to see the output of "route print", but I don't think it's going to help solve your problem.

(Edit: Oh yeah, there's a [code] tag and matching /code closing tag, which leaves multiple spaces and uses a fixed-width font. Good for ASCII art like your first diagram, and it'll stop the route print output from collapsing.)
    Code:
    Like    this.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Thread Information