HomePlugs??

Thread: HomePlugs??

HomePlugs??

(I'm in UK 240v) My router is a Netgear DG834G. I use 2 internet radios wirelessly. Unfortunately I get a weak signal upstairs, (albeit only at night, strangely!). I am looking to boost the signal to it. Have looked at Homeplugs. Has anyone tried them? The descriptions are vague! Do I run an ethernet from my Netgear router to a homeplug? Then upstairs run an ethernet cable from the 2nd homeplug into the radio? If these assumptions are correct would it be OK to run the first homeplug off a trailing socket for it to send its signal off around the house or would it need to be straight into a wall socket? Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

According to their site, you shouldn't use a trailing socket as this degrades the signal. Other than that, your assumptions appear to be correct.

In case you haven't considered it, there are 2 alternatives I can immediately think of.

1) Netgear WPN802 RangeMax Wireless Access Point

2) Upgrade the antenna on your DSG834. Here's one link I found for example:
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/categ...ess%20Antennas

Hope that helps,

TEk

Magnificent suggestions. Very many thanks. Have had a good trawl around web and am going for your Option !. Many thanks for dramatically expanding my horizons! I'll post back when I know if it sorts my 'intermittent problem'. The description certainly suggests that it will.

My pleasure.

Speaking of weak signals; I wonder if you or your neighbour is using equipment that is operating on the same frequency (2.4GHz). Amongst the number of things that use this frequency are wireless AV senders (to send picture from TV downstairs to TV upstairs). If this only happens at night, that could be someone using an AV sender?

Or one of your neighbours may be using the same wireless channel as you, but only switching on their router at night. You could try changing your channel (probably set to 6 or 11) and experiment.

Food for thought.

TEk

10 tips for improving your wireless network
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/more...elesstips.mspx

Definately need to try other channels.

Homeplugs are OK, I have used a few brands. You will never achieve anything near Ethernet speeds though, even if some advertise more.

As it sends the Ethernet signalling down power lines a few other things you have to be aware of are:-

All the (home)plugs you use have to run on the same phase, unless you buy a phase coupler (recommend an electrician!)

Any high noise appliances (washing machine, hoover, hair dryer, etc) have to be filtered or it can severely degrade performance

Good luck with your choices

Thanks very much. Great advice. My Netgear booster arrived. Unfortunately the instructions are mindblowing. I'm happy to have a go at most things but i'm not prepared to risk losing my internet connection altogether so it's going on Ebay!! I have to say it does seem an impressive piece of kit for anyone looking to fill weak spots around the house. I'll look at those boosters in the tips link but will read the instructions on line first! Thanks again.

Thread Information