switch/NAT vs router

Thread: switch/NAT vs router

switch/NAT vs router

hello

My home router has 4 ethernet ports and an adsl port. I guess it is *technically* a router as the adsl has the public ip address and the ethernet ports have the private but to me its more of a switch with NAT. All 4 ethernet ports have the same ip address and they are non configurable. I can change the address of the switching element but this changes the ip for all 4 ports together.

Basically i want a *real* router where i can connect subnets to a switch and the switches to the router which has a different ip for each port.

What is this *real* kind of router called? What should i look out for?

Thanks
    SANITY IS JUST A STATE OF MIND

Post the name and model of your "ROUTER' so we can check out the manual if there is one to be found.

I hope you used 2 or more computers to check that "All 4 ethernet ports have the same ip address" because with the same computer lan card physical address, it would not change.

A Cisco 815 has this capability. There are undoubtedly others as well. They will be pricey.

its a DLink DSL-G624T

I connect 3 pc's through wired connections and 2 wireless. all have to use the same default gateway as there is only one place where it can be configured with only one private ip. Also if using the routers dhcp service, all ports assign the same default gateway.

Its designed for home or soho use so i guess that's the problem. I thought if i just looked for more expensive routers i might get a really expensive soho router by mistake.

but yeah, i dont doubt that cisco has a lot of these "real" routers. i just need to know what the terminology is for routers that seperate network segments. medium/large business router maybe?

If I understand this correctly, the same ips you refer to are actually different ips (192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3, etc.), but using the same subnet (255.255.255.0), whereas what you want is different subnet ips (192.168.0.2, 192.168.1.2, etc.), each with different default gateways?

If that's what you want, the cheapest way maybe to use an old pc with a linux os (ipcop for eg) and multiple nics. That'll do the job.

TEk

On Page 43 of the manual, Enable DHCP.
    That allows the router to hand out ip addies.

This is a HOT ftp link to the online manual.

ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_mo...24t_manual.pdf

Lease time; 3600 seconds means the ip numbers will change after that time has past.

Might want to change that lease time as that is only 1 hour.

Quote Originally Posted by themanwhowas

i just need to know what the terminology is for routers that seperate network segments. medium/large business router maybe?
    Sounds like you are talking about VLAN's. If you want IP Vlan capability, you will need a Layer 3 switch/router.

If you want a different IP Interface for each physical port, you need to create (example) vlan 2 - vlan 4, and assign ("tag") these vlans to 1 port each. I didnt mention vlan 1, as this is the default vlan. Each vlan can have its own IP Interface then, on a seperate subnet - i.e:

Port 1, VLAN 1, IP Interface 192.168.1.1/24
    Port 2, VLAN 2, IP Interface 192.168.2.1/24
    Port 3, VLAN 3, IP Interface 192.168.3.1/24

etc.

Hope this helps?

If I understand this correctly, the same ips you refer to are actually different ips (192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3, etc.),
    no. They are the same ip address. 10.0.0.10. Does that make it more of a hub than switch then?

running an old pc with ipcop or freesco or whatever probably would be the best idea as it gives me most control but i really would prefer a hardware router

Train, i think you have completely misunderstood my question. I dont want dhcp, thats why i turned it off. but thanks anyway.

VLAN sounds like the way to go. Thanks

A hub will broadcast packets destined for any MAC to all ports, whereas a switch will send packets destined for any MAC to only the port it is attached to.

Draytek Vigor were probably the first soho routers I saw with VLAN. You might want to check them out (but dont rely on their tech support; it's pretty crap).

TEk

I actually use a lot of Draytek Vigor routers as it goes, and I would definatenly recommend them. I have never used the vlan features of them though

They have a pretty good user forum for any troubles though, just make sure you research before parting with cash.

Thread Information