BT Home Hub- range

Thread: BT Home Hub- range

BT Home Hub- range

hi, I have a BT home hub, that is situated very near my PC and works perfectly wireless. I also have connected to the home hub 'powerline adaptors' that operate the BT vision box, in another area of the house.
    The problem that I hav is that I want to use my PC in the summer months in my summer house. This building is about 25 metres from the position of the Hub, and although I am getting a signal is is showing to be verry low to poor.
    The summer house has a power supply but not a telephone/internet connection. I have changed the channel settins on the hub with no added sucess, and I have been told that I could use another set of power line devices, I now understand that these devices are not suitable to receive a broadband connection to a PC.
    Any suggestions would be received with thanks
    Cheers

If you are not getting very good RF penetration to your summer house there are a few options...

I dont know how much config you get to do on BT's kit, but if you have the option to run a wireless bridge, you can purchase another AP and repeat the signal so it reaches your summer house.

Not sure also what these "powerline" adapters are, but they remind me of another product in which you run your network over your power lines (i.e 240v plug). Not great speed, but plenty good enough for just casual usage.

Its either that or SpywareDr's suggestion/high power AP/high power WLAN card.

If there are lots of walls and other RF unfriendly materials (lots of metal beams, etc) in the way, you are probably better off not using wireless.

Thread Information