Bandwidth: great down / no up!

Thread: Bandwidth: great down / no up!

Bandwidth: great down / no up!

Dudes:

I have a 1 mb connection and it's very reliable and gives me full speed when downloading - but when uploading it's terrible. 3 kb/sec is all I get.

That means I can't upload to my web page or work with web sites, even attaching an mp3 to an email takes up to 30 minutes!

Is this a function of the provider's service or a port issue - what can be done?

Thanks - rev

Power cycle the modem. Soundss like it is about scrambled.

Just reach back and unplug the power, wait 30 seconds, plug it back in.
    When the modem is back up, try it again.

Now if you have a router also, power cycle it if doing just the modem does not help.

If that does not help, call the isp. But you may need a new modem.

The upload speed is generally always a fraction of what the download speed is. Have you looked on your ISP's web site to see what you're "suppose" to get?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

May also check to see if your ISP impose any limits after you have used a certain amount of bandwidth.

Steve:

Understood, but I can't believe the upload is only 3% of the download. It really is unuseable at that rate.

Hongman:

Unlikely but I'll check. I'm in semi-remote part of Mexico and there aren't many users so there doesn't seem a need to impose restrictions.

What speed did you used to get?

In any case, its probably best to report it to the ISP. They can tell you right away (well, after they have talked you through their 15 page troubleshooting guide) if its anything to do with them.

Just incase, should you be using a one of those procy servers to hide your ip number, that can slow things down, say for instance they only have a 33 k modem in line at the present time.
    Just a guess, but we have had pepole with that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    Dudes:

I have a 1 mb connection and it's very reliable and gives me full speed when downloading - but when uploading it's terrible. 3 kb/sec is all I get.

That means I can't upload to my web page or work with web sites, even attaching an mp3 to an email takes up to 30 minutes!

Is this a function of the provider's service or a port issue - what can be done?

Thanks - rev
    It's not unusual for some numbers to be related in a manner that the reader does not understand what you actually mean, and BPS happens to be amongst the bunch of numbers, as the K and KB suffix tends to trip up some folks. In short, did you mean 300,000 OR 3,000 were the # of bits per second, being your up load rate?

I only ask as 300K is not unusual, and was wondering if the initial post mistated the actual # of bits being xmitted per second for uploads.

Regards, - T2 -

Is this ADSL? The worst spec I've ever seen on a DSL connection is 128 kbps (kilobits) upload, which works out to about 10 kB/s (kilobytes) the way most browsers measure it. 3 kB/s is pretty bad -- that's back in 33.6 kbps dialup modem land.

Assuming it's DSL (this doesn't all apply to cable):

Check your filtering carefully -- everything on the line except the modem should be behind an ADSL filter. Make sure you account for things like cable/satellite TV dialback or monitored alarm systems.

The next step would be doing an isolation test; unplug everything from the line except the modem and see if things improve.

If it works better during the isolation test, something you're attaching to that line is dodgy -- gradually plug things back in one by one and see what breaks it.

If it doesn't work during the isolation test, it's probably a modem or line fault. The best way to deal with that depends a bit on where you are -- here, the first step is to call the ISP, because they can get the telco to check the line from the house to the exchange for free (and if that tests OK then you're looking at trying to swap modems or getting your house wiring checked at your cost). Where you are the best process might differ slightly.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

I'm in a part of Mexico where it can be difficult to get the phone or electricity let alone support - and even then it's all in Spanish.

I'll check the filters but I'm pretty sure we did that with everything, they gave us about 20 filters with the modem. The whole setup is only weeks old.

Thanks - rev

Thread Information