[RESOLVED] Register and ftp domain name?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Register and ftp domain name?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Register and ftp domain name?

We have an ftp site set up at our office and currently the only way someone can connect to it is to use the ip address I give them. How can we register the ftp site with our company's name? For instance, I've seen web sites that use ftp.somesite.com and you can type this into a browser and get to their ftp site. I'd like to put the ftp. in front of our web site's address but after searching numerous domain name registrations sites I haven't figured out how to do it. Can someone guide me in the right direction?

Later,
    Webshark

Is ftp enabled for the server?
    And post what OS the server has.

Well, the company's web site is hosted elsewhere, but the ftp site is hosted at our office on one of the networked computers that I'm going to call the server (although it's not really a server in the technical sense). That computer is running Windows 2000 and I'm using XLight FTP server. We own the domain name and I was wondering if there was a way to put ftp in front of our domain name and have it point to our static ip address at the office (instead of someone having to type in the ip address every time they want to access the ftp site).

I've seen numerous other companies do this. When we contacted the company that is hosting our web site they simply sent us this e-mail:

This might help:

http://lifehacker.com/software/web-p...ver-124804.php

I use Leap FTP.

I type in [I will use a private ip addy] ftp://192.168.10.106 The fill out the name and password blocks and i can get into my 2003 server, but i do have several things enabled that I do not think are in 2000.

Sure hope someone can help us out!

You can register the name for your ftp site the same way you would for your main domain name. If your company already has a domain name registered - like www.ourcompany.com - then your ftp site would normally be something like ftp.ourcompany.com You can check with your domain name registrar (if you have one) on how to get your ftp site name registered. Or, you can contact a registrar like GoDaddy.com for help with this. On GoDaddy, once your name is registered, you can set up the IP address for your ftp server using their web page based administration pages. Since you do not have a server OS, someone else will have to host the DNS records needed for internet users to resolve your ftp site's name.

Links:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dns.htm/printable

http://www.hostingcoupons.org/how-to...e-and-host-it/

http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/default.asp

If you want to try and figure out who's hosting your DNS, go to robtex and put the companyname.com domain name in the search box at the very top left. Look at the NS records that come back -- those are the boxes hosting your DNS records, and that's who you'd need to approach about getting ftp.companyname.com defined.

For example, if you look up virtualdr.com then you see two NS records, both servers under internet.com. That means that internet.com hosts the DNS for VirtualDr (it's basically handled in-house by Jupitermedia). If you look up imate.com then the NS records come back under idp365.net, and going there gets you to www.safenames.net. So when i-mate want to make a DNS change, they have to talk to safenames.net.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

When you speak to whoever hosts your records, tell them you need to create a new A Record, then tell them the prefix (ftp) and the IP to point it to

Ok, I've looked into this a little more. Basically I want to add a subdomain to our domain name and have it point to ftp://xx.x.xx.xx (the ip address of our ftp site here). The only problem is that when I go to GoDaddy and try to add a subdomain, it will only let me forward to an http address and not an ftp. I'm going to call GoDaddy and see if there's anything they can do on their end, but let me know if you have any more suggestions.

Found this.

Open your your site definition, switch to advanced view and select "Remote Info" from the list on the left. Place a tick in "Use Passive FTP". See here for details: http://help.godaddy.com/article.php?...topic_id=222&&

Open your your site definition, switch to advanced view and select "Remote Info" from the list on the left.
    You've lost me here. Are you talking about on GoDaddy? I don't see a site definition anywhere. Also, we don't have our website hosted through GoDaddy, I don't know if that makes a difference, or not. We just used GoDaddy for the Domain registration.
    Last edited by Webshark2000; May 29th, 2008 at 03:28 PM.

By the way, GoDaddy told me I couldn't forward the subdomain to ftp://xx.x.xx.xx because we didn't have our site hosted through them. Sounds fishy to me.

I've seen other websites do this before. For example:

www.emmis.com
    and
    ftp.emmis.com

That's all we want. Why is this so difficult?

Whoever is hosting your web site has control of your DNS records, which is what you need to set up a record for your ftp site. A DNS lookup for your site's IP address should show who that is.

Well you stated you had a problem with godaddy, so I hit the FAQs and posted that.

Now if you got a hold of a salesperson, instead of a knowledgeable tech, that answer you get is what I would expect.

Might want to conceder a different place if they can help get things the way you want.

Put your domain name into that robtex search. What are the NS records you get back?
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Put your domain name into that robtex search. What are the NS records you get back?
    Record A gives me: pwfwd-v01.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net
    Record NS: ns03.domaincontrol.com
    Record NS: ns04.domaincontrol.com
    Record MS: mailstore1.secureserver.net

Still no solution to this problem.

Thread Information