[RESOLVED] "Remote peer not responding" error

Thread: [RESOLVED] "Remote peer not responding" error

Resolved [RESOLVED] "Remote peer not responding" error

I have recently been given a Dell Latitude by work to enable me to work from home, using a secure log-in via a VPN. This entails using a pre-set PIN and a secure 6 digit code provided by an RSA token.

I have a wireless DSL router at home through which I can connect to the internet from my PC and 2 laptops with no problems, using Freedom to Surf as my ISP. However, I cannot connect to the VPN using my Remote Connect application and typing in my security ID. I have had all the security settings checked by our help desk and the laptop has been taken home by a co-worker and it connects fine on his private DSL connection.

The message I keep getting is as per the title of the thread and the screen dump in the Word document attached to this thread. Also attached is the IPCONFIG in the text file. I have been told that it may be something to do with my firewall settings, or that I should have a connection via different ports. I have disabled my firewall (this makes no difference), and have no idea how to configure the router for anything except the ISP settings and for MAC filtering. Incidentally I have added the new latop's MAC and tried disabling MAC filtering completely, but it still doesn't work.

The details:
    Router: 3Com OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router
    3C Number: 3CRWE754G72-A
    WAN Connection Type: PPPoA

Hope you can help. Many thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Do you have the VPN forwarded in the router?

Hi Train,

Thanks for the reply.

Not entirely sure I understand the question, could you perhaps elaborate? Our help-desk has asked me to check that I have a good internet connection through IE (which I do) and then I use an application from the desktop called Remote Connection.

This brings up a simple screen with a two-option drop-down list to either dial-in, or "VPNONLY". I have been told to select VPNonly and then enter my PIN and Secure 6 digit code, after which i get the "Remote peer is not responding" message each time.

I forgot to add in my earlier post that I have also tried connecting to the router via a cable and logging on, but with no success.

Some those DSL modems have routers built into them.

Run into that quite a bit lately.

Post the make and model of the modem and the router and I will see what I can find out.

I actually thought that all routers had modems built into them!

The make and model of the router is in my first post, but here it is again:

The details:
    Router: 3Com OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router
    3C Number: 3CRWE754G72-A
    WAN Connection Type: PPPoA

Appreciate any help you can give me Train; I have had a surf around a site called "http://portforward.com" but I am a bit worried about changing the settings on the work laptop in case I screw something up

Cheers

Assuming the work laptop is patched up to date and has a software firewall running, can you add it to the "DMZ" in the router (see page 60 of the manual)?

As a bit of background, VPN links aren't simple like web or email -- there're usually multiple connections involved, they can involve weird protocols like GRE rather than just TCP/UDP, and for a router to make it all work requires a little more complicated processing than just port forwarding. Most routers have a checkbox for something like "VPN Passthrough" which turns on that logic, but yours doesn't, and the port forwarding screen doesn't have the flexibility you probably need either.

The "DMZ" setting is basically a forward-everything setting, and that might do the trick. It does completely expose the nominated PC to the Internet though.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Special applications, what they call it on page 52 of the manual, is what I was thinking of.

Tuttle has some good point listed .

Nice job Tuttle, that sorted it. Not sure if it's the same for all these routers, but when I set up the IP address in the DMZ screen, it already had a public IP address in the first line that couldn't be edited (195.137.58.101); is that my ISP? I did try adding the IP address in line 2, but of course it will only allow unique IP addresses, and line 1 must be completed.

Anyway, I'm up and running and all help has been greatly appreciated. How does this problem get changed to a "Resolved"?

Just above your first post is Thread tools, you can mrk thread resolved in there.
    I did it for you this time.

Quote Originally Posted by John080347

(195.137.58.101); is that my ISP?
    http://www.geektools.com/whois.php
    inetnum: 195.137.28.0 - 195.137.127.255
    netname: FREEDOM2SURF
    descr: Freedom To Surf ltd
    descr: Static IP Subscribers
    admin-c: HMPI-RIPE
    tech-c: HMPI-RIPE
    rev-srv: server0004.freedom2surf.net
    rev-srv: server0001.freedom2surf.net