[XP] Intel Q6600 Quad Running Temps???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [XP] Intel Q6600 Quad Running Temps???

Exclamation [XP] Intel Q6600 Quad Running Temps???

Hi you all!

Just bought and assembled:
    Intel CoreDuo2 Quad Q6600 CPU (2.4)
    Nvidia 8600GT 512MB / DDR2 GPU (Pci-ex16)
    CM 690 Coolermaster Mid ATX Chassis (Case)
    WINXP (Service Pack2)
    Three120mm case fans (I think they are only connected to the PSU)
    1)Raptor WD SataII 74 GB for apps and OS Hard drive
    2) Western Digital SataII 500 GB Internal hard Drive for Storage

OK.
    Now after putting everything together and it seemingly is working well, does anyone have any idea what the average Intel Core Duo2 Quad (Q6600) 2.4CPU Temperature should be running at? I have a MSI (Microstar P-35 Platinum Mobo) that came with DualCoreCenter Utility to monitor temp, system temps and
    settings in the Bios.

I went to the BIOS and noticed that the CPU Temp was running at 61 c / 141 f ! That sounds pretty high to me. The System Temp was 29 0 / 84 f.

The Fan speed was1775 RPMS. Which one? It did not say,but I do have a front case 120mm,and a rear 120mm fan, and a 120mm side case fan, ad they are working.

In Bios, the System Fan #3 and #4 is Disabled. Could that be that my friend hooked up the Fans directly to the Power supply and not split them to the mainboard?

Is there website on Normal operating temperatures for the INTEL Processors?

If anyone has the MSI P-35 Platinum Mainboard, and has installed the DuoCoreCenter utility, How do you change the temp settings for the Fans and the CPU? I've seen the DOT Ultily to change the settings,but I did not see it on the Driver/utility CD.

Thanks again!

I found that I got high temps with my Core2Duo with the stock cooler too. I changed the stock HSF for a better one and my temps decreased massively. AFAIK the identical cooler is used on the quad core CPUs which probably makes things even worse.
    Nick.

Thanks!
    Q6600 seems to be Very Hot! What are the normal CPU operating temperatures?

I installed the DualCoreCenter Temp monitoring software from the MSI (Micro-Star) Mobo Utility Disc and I also downloaded CORETEMP (v0.96) software to see what B gwan'on, and it shows that all four Cores are listed,
    frequency is 2402.43 MHZ,
    Platform is LGA 775,
    VID is 1.2375v
    and the following temps:

Tj.Max - 212 F
    100C

CORE #O 142 F / 60C
    CORE #1 138 F / 59C
    CORE #2 126 F / 52C
    CORE #3 124 F / 51C

INTEL CoreDuo2 Q6600 2.4 Kentsfield Quad

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    I think SuperSparks has you solution, buy and install a third party heatsink/fan.

Yep, those are the same sort of temps that I was getting at first. I fitted a Scythe Samurai, and now my core temps are around 35C to 40C when the CPU is idling.
    Nick.

Make sure you have a read of the instructions here too for applying thermal paste: http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appi..._quad_wcap.pdf

If you pickup an aftermarket cooler, pick up a tube of Arctic Silver 5 aswell, superb stuff, and apply it properly, as it sounds as though the chip is not completely flat with 9° temps difference between core 0 and core 3.

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

Thanks guys!

On the INTEL CPU install video, It said that the HSF could be applied onto the CPU on any orientation,but the way I have it is looking from the memory slots toward the HSF, the intel logo on the top.

I am at present, for fear of burnin' up my new computer, using my old Compaq back up from a friend. I have alot of Dr. appointments (cancer) and have not been able to remove the HSF,BUT...

I just looked at the Pins of the HSF and one leg seems to be loose, I've tried pushing it down,but I'll try to screwdrive it clockwise to see if that makes a difference in locking it down...

Should I just buy another after market Fan and will it fit universal Mobos like my MSI P-35 Platinum ?

Do they all work the same as the Stock Intel Fan? curious,how much is the Stock fan really worth? is spending 25.00-35.00 for a fan too much?

Finally, with the temps I posted above before,will it harm my computer to get on real fast and retrieve this info about Coretemp?

It's interesting, I'm not a Overclocker and yet there are many different opinions on the Temp issue.

The case has two 120mm fans and one 80mmfront fan. the case is located on the floor,between my computer desk and another desk in a space about twice the width of the case. I know in the summertime here in SO.Cal, it can get pretty HOT in here,but for now,the average temp in the room is approx. 65-75 degrees.

Thanks again!

I use the Zalman 9700 with my Q6600. Keeps the temps real low and it's very quiet. I highly recommend it. It should fit your mobo just fine.
    Desktop: Intel i7 960 CPU @ 4.0GHz, EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI mobo, 12GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000 DDR3 RAM, Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB Solid State Drive, Two WD 2TB SATA drives, 2x EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked graphics cards in SLI, Coolermaster HAF X full tower case, OCZ ZX 1250w PSU, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
    Laptop: MSI GT60-004US, 2x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSD Hybrid drives in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GeForce 670M 3GB graphics card, Networks 'Killer' N-1103 WLAN card

Thanks bistro..

Did you have to stick a backplate to the underside of the Motherboard,or does it only sit on top like the stock intel HSF?

Ok,

I think by turning the leg pin, it got tighter and saw the HSF get closer to the CPU. I did not remove the HSF.
    I looked in the BIOS and changed the
    SMART FAN TARGET TO 55c
    CPU MIN/MAX FAN SPEED TO 87.5%
    SYSFAN SPEED to 100%

CPU TEMP 61c / 143F
    SYS TEMP 28c / 78F

There is a difference when I first took the readings about a half hour ago (see attachment )

....and last week

TjMax 212
    >Core# 0 - 140 F
    Core# 1 138 F
    Core# 2 124 F
    Core# 3 124 F

...and now..

Max - 212 F
    Core# 0 133 F
    Core# 1 129 F
    Core# 2 117 F
    Core# 3 117F

Are they still running high? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those temps are still high for idle. I would get that cooler ASAP and, until then, avoid using the sytem as much as possible. make sure you use thermal paste with that cooler. i believe most of them come with their own thermal paste, but I recommend Arctic Silver. You don't need much...about a 1/4 inch of it should do.
    Last edited by bistro; January 11th, 2008 at 09:29 AM.
    Desktop: Intel i7 960 CPU @ 4.0GHz, EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI mobo, 12GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000 DDR3 RAM, Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB Solid State Drive, Two WD 2TB SATA drives, 2x EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked graphics cards in SLI, Coolermaster HAF X full tower case, OCZ ZX 1250w PSU, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
    Laptop: MSI GT60-004US, 2x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSD Hybrid drives in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GeForce 670M 3GB graphics card, Networks 'Killer' N-1103 WLAN card

Quote Originally Posted by bozobytes
    Did you have to stick a backplate to the underside of the Motherboard,or does it only sit on top like the stock intel HSF?
    It depends on which replacement cooler you get - I specifically chose my Scythe Samurai so that I didn't have to dismantle everything - it just uses the standard pins. In my case I cant use a backplate anyway, because my mobo has a heatpipe cooling system that prevents one, so that may be something that you'd want to check.
    Nick.

Ok, How much cooler should I want to go?

I could build a stand for the case and have it higher than it is now on the floor,but wouldn't it be cooler on the floor since heat rises?
    Starting CPU temp was 109F.

Core0124, F Core1122, F Core2109, F Core3109 F. Then it raises after

then about five minutes and @ 20 minutes later idling @
    Core0 129F
    Core1 124F
    Core2 113F
    Core3 111F

Called my FRYS electronic stores..they don't carry SCYTHE anything. I recon that's an online order thru newegg or amazon.

My Q6600 idles between 90 and 92°F...will get up to around 110 when playing a game like Bioshock. Your starting temp is too hot. Sounds like the hsf is still not in good contact with the CPU.

Bought nu CM HYPER TX2 HSF

Everything is going to be O....K.....I keep telling myself that.
    Ok, Bistro, thanks for that.

No, instead of checking the Bios,I decided to remove the Stock fan, clean the CPU,and I bought a Coolermaster HYPER TX2 HSF.

I TOTALLY HATE THOSE DARN PUSH PINS!!!!!!

But, I resign the fact that I am Not a gamer,am Not going to overclock,and don't need a super-duper backstrap under the Mobo Cooler for the CPU....in other words,too lazy to remove all and put all back.

I dabbed the AS5 onto the cooler, followed the des(in)tructions and positioned the pins correctly,placed the cooler over the CPU,and as I noticed before, how was I going to use a flat screwdriver to tightened the pins on two of the sides,they have that annoying dispersement plastic sheild,which in in the dang way! I thought it would be easy just to push down the pins until they LOCK.
    I think the Fan separates from the top,but with my luck, I'll snap it off and break something.

Sooooooooo, that's what I'm up to as of this point. trying to mount this bad boy. Another feature good or bad, is the fan is facing to the side and the picture shows the fan pointed towards the memory slots. I did however bought another 120mm top case fan for extra cooling.

SOOOooooooooooooo, if anyone has a MSI Platinum P-35 Mobo, and a Hyper TX2 HSF...any suggestions would help... Thanks again to all who replied to my original posts!

Thread Information