The PC seems to work fine, EXCEPT that Chkdsk hangs with the message
"CHKDSK is verifying files. Stage 1 (File verification). (Stage 1 of 3 completed)
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (Stage 2 of 3) 4 percent complete"
And there it hangs.
I have tried starting in Safe Mode. I cannot get all the way into Safe Mode. It hangs at the first screen with the list of drivers. I cannot get out of either hung screen except by manual turn off. Upon reboot, I get the same hung screen(s). I can get into Windows only by using a boot disk. The Chkdsk command is then apparently deleted.
I have run sfc /scannow and System Restore to a date three days ago. But I have no idea when this problem started. (I probably last ran Chkdsk successfully about 10 days ago.) I have tried to start Chkdsk both from C:\ drive Properties|Tools (requesting auto fix) and from a command window (chkdsk /F). (Both of course require a reboot which is when Chkdsk hangs.)
I have made no recent hardware changes. I did install the Sept. 19-20 Windows Updates and a Zone Alarm Free update. At one point I uninstalled both and as mentioned also ran System Restore to the 18th.
I have a Western Digital Hard Drive (WD1600JD-75HBB0 in a Dell Dimension 4600). I checked that with Windlg (Diagnostic) using the SMART setting. All OK.
Can anyone suggest a fix so I can use Chkdsk again?
Thanks.
P.S. Please move if this is not the correct forum.