New BIOS = Slow Internet

Thread: New BIOS = Slow Internet

New BIOS = Slow Internet

Ahoy, I just updated my AwardBios from the Asus website, and now my cable internet is running at about 20kb/sec max. My device manager tells me the driver isn't installed on my ethernet controller. Does anyone know what this means or where I could find a fix? Thanks much!

Nix is offline Aka: Nix*, NNiixx, Nix23
    Ahoy to you too matey.

Have you check in the BIOS to see if there is option to enable on board ethernet or anything to similar effect.

It might have been disabled or previously non existent in the BIOS and thus defaulted to off in the new one when you upgraded.
    Last edited by Nix; March 2nd, 2007 at 12:26 AM.

Before delving into your pc, get ahold of your ISP & see if they are having any issues. One thing you can do first is to reboot your cable modem, unplug the power wire & coax cable, wait 30 seconds then hook it back up & see if things improve. BJ

You probably need to re-install the NIC driver. You will be able to download it from the motherboard makers website, where you got the BIOS update. It may be called an NIC driver, an Ethernet controller driver or a LAN driver.
    Nick.

John, rebooting the modem seemed to do the trick, but my ethernet controller is still on alert in my device mgr. I'll check into your recommendation Sparks, thanks to everyone.

Thread Information