Somethings causing my hard drive to spin up for no reason....

Thread: Somethings causing my hard drive to spin up for no reason....

Hybrid View

Somethings causing my hard drive to spin up for no reason....

This has just been happening the last three days or so, tried googling for an answer but haven't had any luck. PC can be sitting idle & all of a sudden the hd just spins up for no reason. Was here at VDR tonite & looking at threads, hd spun up all of a sudden & the site froze, waited a minute or two, hd slowed down again & everything went back to normal. Any idea what could be causing this. Thanks BJ

Perhaps it's Windows own Index Service kicking in?
    Automated AV/software firewall service?
    Cheers.

I recently installed Diskkeeper Pro...My darn floppy drive lites up and spins...

BJ, you might bring up task manager and watch it to see if you can see some service to jumps at the same time the drive spins...
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thanks Steve, done that, nothing new popped up, believe I traced it down to the Netscape browser im using. Tried another browser & the issue stopped. I then went to the Netscape forums & saw that several people are having the same problem & they all started around the same time mine did. Kinda weird, im waiting for a solution there. BJ

You've presumably got the Power Options set to allow the hard drive to turn off after a certain period of idleness. It sounds as if Netscape needs to periodically access that drive and that's what's causing it to spin up. Changing the settings in Power Options might help.
    Nick.

Thanks Nick but thats not it, got everything set to never shut off in power options. I just started using another browser & the problem stopped. When Nutscape resolves this issue then I may start using it again. BJ

Thread Information