Can't play DVD-RW's on OTHER DVD Players?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't play DVD-RW's on OTHER DVD Players?

Can't play DVD-RW's on OTHER DVD Players?

okay, I think I Just wasted money on a DVD-RW/VCR Recorder combo. I "tested" a recording on a DVD-R, recorded like 30 mins of a show...then went to play it on another DVD player.

Say if I wanted to record Stargate for a friend, take it out, and let him watch it on his DVD player. Would it be futile?

Is there away I can do this. I figure what's the point of having a DVD recorder if you cant play it on other simple DVD PLayers????

It will depend on the DVD player more than anything as not all will play DVD-R or DVD+R/RW disks theres a list here with which you can look the make and model of player up on and the type of media it supports.

Quote Originally Posted by 104456
    It will depend on the DVD player more than anything as not all will play DVD-R or DVD+R/RW disks theres a list here with which you can look the make and model of player up on and the type of media it supports.
    If in doubt read the instructions...lol...apparently you have to do some sort of "Finalization" thing if you want it to play back in other players. Doing that right now, we'll see what happens. Hopefully it will work.

Kinda like some Burning software on computers, that format it in a sense so you can iuse it in other CD drives on other computers

Quote Originally Posted by hambone2
    If in doubt read the instructions...lol...apparently you have to do some sort of "Finalization" thing if you want it to play back in other players. Doing that right now, we'll see what happens. Hopefully it will work.

Kinda like some Burning software on computers, that format it in a sense so you can iuse it in other CD drives on other computers

Never mind , still didnt work

WEll, here's the bad news apparently it can only play on 80% of the DVD players, I guess my DVD players fall in the 20%

Did you check your DVD player brand and model at the above link?

Quote Originally Posted by 104456
    Did you check your DVD player brand and model at the above link?

Yeah, showed all formats being greyed out ( you referring to the one I just bought, right?)

I might just return it and get a better brand, I can't seem to find much reviews on the emerson. looks like Pioneer takes the cake though

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Which Emerson did you just buy?

Quote Originally Posted by photolady
    Which Emerson did you just buy?

The crappy one...lol

No, its that DUAL VCR/DVD Combo EWR20V5 Dual Recorder
    they sell at the Wal-Mart. Apparenlty lot of people have had issues with trying to play it back on other players...so obviously, if alot of people are having problems, we can pretty much ascertain the problem. lol

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    At Walmart, eh? Good I'll remember not to buy that one. I saw another there that had VHS to DVD recorder though that one was Magnavox. I think price was about $179 +. I didn't check it out real good just caught my eye and thought that would sure fix the problems I having with my capture card not working. I'll look into that one later and see if it also is going to have problems with playing on other dvd drives/units.

Another thing to look out for on the real cheap DVD recorders is that they may not record audio in stereo. We've come to take that for granted in video equipment, but it's one more patent for which royalties have to be paid, and some don't.

Dvd Rw

Hi My dad copied some of my home videos onto DVD RW for me tonight using a DVD recorder. He finalised it and everything and double checked to see if he had missed anything and he didnt. It was the first time he has used it and it played back on his pc fine but when I went home and tried it on mine an error says it does not reconise the DVD and it needs formatting. I am wondering why this is happening!

If its a DVD-RW you may not have the correct packet software installed to read it.What CD/DVD software do you have installed?

Well dad has Windows Media and I do as well and it worked ok for him. I also have Power DVD. I used a SONY DVD-RW

Is it the Power DVD thats failing to read the DVD or windows itself?
    If just the player try VLC player its freeware and very good.

Thread Information