Need some serious computer help

Thread: Need some serious computer help

Hybrid View

Need some serious computer help

I have really screwed up my computer now. Yesterday I downloaded the new upgraded McAfee security Center. Everything was fine after the download. I started my compupter up this morning and proceded to login to my Data Entry work program. I was getting an error saying information was not able to receive. I contacted my work and they thought it was my internet connection. I unloaded and reloaded my work program and still had the same problem. I then unloaded my McAfee programs and once I did that I was able to login to my work. I then proceeded to do a restore before I started messing around. Since then I have had nothing but problems. I can no longer view login pages for like my bank information in Internet Explorer. I click onto my help and support program in the start menu and that won't open to try and do a restore to yesterdays programs. I have been trying to figure this out all day and probably have screwed up the entire system. I have Windows XP Media Center Edition. It's a Dell XPS 400 computer so of coarse I don't have a Windows XP CD. I have tried going on the internet and reloading the Macromedia flash player but on the page where it says to click on install there is no install button to click onto. That's what I get for several internet explorer pages. Can any of you help me get my computer back working again. I hope my situation isn't leading to having to buy a new computer?

Kerri

Hi, sorry about your problems, when someone mentions Mc Affee I cringe, any way can you access system restore by going to start>programs>system tools>system restore. If so give that a try. BJ

Quote Originally Posted by BIG JOHN
    Hi, sorry about your problems, when someone mentions Mc Affee I cringe, any way can you access system restore by going to start>programs>system tools>system restore. If so give that a try. BJ
    Why do you cringe when you hear McAfee? Is Norton better?

Thanks for you advice but I wasn't able to even get into help and support section to get to the restore. I had to completely restore my system with the Ctl F11. I have a Dell OS.

lgbpop, guess you didn't read my post. BJ

Quote Originally Posted by BIG JOHN
    access system restore by going to start>programs>system tools>system restore. If so give that a try. BJ

These might be of some help;
    http://support.euro.dell.com/support...gen&dn=1092188

MacAfee uninstaller:
    http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/displaydoc....egoryId=107187

The uninstaller works-I've used it.

IMO, the only way this company keeps selling their software is through good marketing.
    The true test of character is not how much we
    know how to do, but how we behave when we don't know what to do

Need more computer help

k, now that I reinstalled my entire Dell OS from when we first purchased it I am now having the same problem that led me to really screw up my computer at an earlier post.

I work from home as an independent contractor. The company I am contracted with have there own software that I have loaded onto my computer. It's been working just fine for the last year until this new McAfee Security System came out. I like the new security system but when I go to log into my work program I get "underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive."

Before I had to redue my entire Dell OS I contacted my employer about the problem and they thought it was my internet connection. I unloaded my McAfee Security System and tried logging into my work again and was able to so I know the problem is the cause from the upgrade. I want to be able to fix this without having to uninstall programs.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Why do you cringe when you hear McAfee? Is Norton better?
    Those two programs are the Dumb and Dumber of the A/V world. I have said this many times, but it's worth repeating: Take a stroll through our HijackThis forum and see how many problem systems have one or the other installed. One rarely sees AntiVir, ZoneAlarm, Avast, or the others being used on systems with virus trouble. "McNorton" has an excessively large footprint, uses a tremendous amount of system resources and updates are frequently days apart.
    I wasn't able to even get into help and support section to get to the restore.
    No one directed you there for a restore. Go to Start | Programs | System Tools | System Restore. Select Restore my computer to an earlier time, click Next and follow the instructions.

I saw that, but I thought krkabauer might have missed it so I repeated it.

krkabauer, there are several good free programs that are head and shoulders above MacAfee and Norton. I removed Macrap 2006 Security center from a ladies computer last week. I consided it an infection.
    The true test of character is not how much we
    know how to do, but how we behave when we don't know what to do

Thread Information