[RESOLVED] Can you do this with a CD-RW?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Can you do this with a CD-RW?

Hybrid View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Can you do this with a CD-RW?

I want to archive my digital photos (among other things) onto CD-RW media. Can I add some files to one disk over the course of weeks/months until it is full?

For example, lets say I have maybe 100 photos that adds up to about 40MB. Can I burn these to a disk today, then after the holidays burn my holiday photos to the same disk, since that disk will theoretically still have about 660MB free?

I'm currently using EZ CD Creator 5.35.10 on a Plexwriter on Windows 98

Off topic here.... I've been here for a while now, and VDR has gone through some changes and upgrades in my time, but the new feature of that pop-up box that comes up when you hover your hand over the New Topic button has got to be the smartest thing done in a long time. Kudos to whoever implemented that. I hope it has done some good. And it might not even be that new, I just haven't posted any new topics in a while so it's new to me

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Welcome Back!!

If you start creating the cdrw as a mulitsession cd, you can add files later.

And the popup on that reply was added after the upgraded vbulletin software was implemented by Big John (Administrator).

As photolady has observed, you can write a multisession disk - you will lose some capacity overall as a new Table of Contents is created to update each session, but not a great loss. Alternatively you can use packet writing, which lets you use the disk like a large floppy disk, adding files as you wish. This also uses up some of the disk's total capacity.

However I would caution against using RW media as an archiving medium, it isn't reliable enough. Many people have been disappointed at losing files because their rewritable disks went bad. If you really do want to use re-writeables (hard to know why when regular writeables are so cheap) then have several copies for security.
    Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

Agree, regular CD-R discs will do. There is really no real advantage to use CD-RW for what you're palnning to do. Plus, CD-R discs are so much cheaper.

Just to add a CDRW sometimes has the habit of becoming inaccessible so I would suggest CDR as the best solution and they are relatively cheap these days too.

Nix is offline Aka: Nix*, NNiixx, Nix23
    Further, I would actually advise caution using packet writing (DirectCD) as people have also been known to be unable to find their files on occasion too.

You simply have top search this forum or Google and you'll find all sort of advise on it.

Although having saids that some poeple have had no issues and it's like the Intel vs AMD or the great swap file debate.

Agreed Nix, packet writing can be flakey. Different implementations between writing software, Windows versions and drive firmware (eg Mt Rainier compatability) can easily corrupt disks.
    Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

But can you burn several sessions to a CDR-W? I have always thought that once you burn something to a CDR-W that's it. You can't change it. So you can if you do it in multiple sessions?

Thanks for the advice. I might return these CD-RWs and swap them for CDRs

I don't know what packet writing is but it doesn't sound like anything I need to learn about.

When I was searching here to see if this topic had been discussed before, I found This page to be a huge help.
    Last edited by Parallax; December 6th, 2005 at 01:54 PM.

A few thoughts...

1) You can do multi-session with either CD-RW or CD-R, but as has been stated, RW is not considered very reliable over the long run, and can have some compatibility issues when moving between drives as well.

2) Packet-writing is a fundamentally BAD idea at the moment. If Mt. Ranier technology ever becomes widely adopted, maybe it will stabilize this issue. But I simply can't trust it today.

3) HOWEVER!... DVD +-RW on the contrary is considered to be VERY reliable compared to CD-RW, and of course has much higher capacity as well (both beneficial), but will only be readable in DVD drives, not CD drives (if that's an issue for you).

I use DVD+RW media as system backup material, and have overwritten a couple of my oldest pieces easily a couple of hundred times, and they still work fine. I've never personally been able to rewrite a CD-RW disc more than a couple of dozen times before starting to experience real substantial problems.

Hope this sheds a little light!
    Various Windows and Linux platforms...

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm going to take these RWs back and get Rs. If I start making coasters you'll hear about it first

What if, lets say, rather than 40 MB of pictures, you want to backup all the pictures in one easy swoop? Is there something similar to the Backup Utility that can utilize CD-R's for many (many) GB's of photos? Running Win2k and Easy CD Creator Plat 5. I have tried a bunch of times to just individually do data CDR's (dont have DVD R/RW whatever yet) but it is massively time consuming. Any suggestions?
    ~Scott

Not sure what you mean, Crvtte65. If you have "many (many) GB's of photos" to backup, it IS gonna take some time to burn to CD's. Although, the software used will have a slight influence on the speed but the determining factor is the write speed of the CD burner, not the software. If you want it fast, then back them up to a hard drive.

I was hoping of something to chop up the files in nice 650 MB hunks for me so it takes the thinking out of it and WinRAR seems to be able to do it but I'm just going to go and buy a DVD Writer to replace my very old CR R/RW (well, actually replace the DVD-ROM but in actual data storage function replace the CR R)

Oh well, guess I should have kept up on it sooner. Happy New Years!
    ~Scott

Yea I just bought actually that one and installed it today
    ~Scott

Thread Information