[RESOLVED] Can you do this with a CD-RW? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RESOLVED] Can you do this with a CD-RW?

Yea I just bought actually that one and installed it today
    ~Scott

If the drive you purchased is DL, then you can fit up to 9.0 Gb on each piece of media, which will drastically reduce the media requirements for a full backup. I use Nero's BackItUp for such things, but I don't know if Roxio offers a similar product. BackItUp is a "backup" utility, so it knows how to split backup jobs into multiple media solutions, like any classic backup products does, except it's specifically designed for optical media instead of tape, etc..

Unfortunately, no DL "RW" discs yet exist - so far as I know, so you'd have to settle for write-once if using double-layer media.
    Last edited by shiva_42; December 29th, 2005 at 05:46 PM.
    Various Windows and Linux platforms...

Quote Originally Posted by Train
    $40 will get you a NEC dvd-rw from newegg.
    An example http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827152059[/url]

do not get the NEC 3550A DVD +-R/RW Dual Layer 16x drive. I have had nothing but problems. The POS cannot even play a DVD or audio CD without skipping. It has created errors 3 Dual Layer DVD's, two SL DVD -R's, and 5 CD-R's. It is not software as I used two different ones and then successfully made an audio using my older LG CD-R/RW without a problem.

Good thing I kept the box...
    ~Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Crvtte65
    do not get the NEC 3550A DVD +-R/RW Dual Layer 16x drive. I have had nothing but problems. The POS cannot even play a DVD or audio CD without skipping. It has created errors 3 Dual Layer DVD's, two SL DVD -R's, and 5 CD-R's. It is not software as I used two different ones and then successfully made an audio using my older LG CD-R/RW without a problem.

Good thing I kept the box...
    I have had not trouble with mine.
    Do you have the correct codexs?

And how old is your computer and what video card do you have?

Fact is, yours is the first one anyone said they had trouble with.

I am surprised too because after looking round the web it seems to be very highly rated. I did a search on the NO SEEK COMPLETE error that I get occassionally and a few others have ahd the same problem with NEC drives and when they switched over to a different brand they didn't have any more problems.

I found this Nero CD-DVD Speed tester in the software bundle and my older LG worked fine and every single test on the NEC failed to complete. Even the plain old surface scan data CD. after about 50% of checking the CD it slowed to 0.04x. Also made some nails-on-the-chalkboard sound too. That probably isn't a good thing.

The comp is from '01 with upgraded RAM, HD, and OS (Win2k) and the video card is an nVidia GeForce2 with a measly 64mb memory

I am currently scoping new computers but I have the problem of spending money I don't really have
    Last edited by Crvtte65; December 31st, 2005 at 11:20 AM.
    ~Scott

Before you do anything else, try cleaning the lens with a cleaning disc. You can get one from any music or electronics store if you don't have one already. It is easy for a spec of dust to get on the lens during manufacturing or transportation, and in fact I had exactly that happen to a brand new DVD burner. A quick lens clean and all was fine.
    Nick.

Hi,

Chopping the file upinto 650mb segments can be done with a file splitting program

HJSPLIT

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

Haven;t used this for a while, One of the options was to split files into 650MB segments ready to burn to CDR

hth

Ceri

Thread Information